Going to view a horse this weekend - nervous and excited

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
We are on our way back with lots of thinking to do.

She really is very nice, and exactly as described. The owner is lovely and I get the feeling that the filly has been very well brought up. She has great manners and is very affectionate and sweet.

She is quite a small horse, and not just in terms of measured height. She’s quite fine and comes across a lot smaller than the other filly that I went to see who was only an inch taller in terms of measured height.

I don’t get the feeling that she’ll grow all that much so I think she may well make 15hh and stay there. I’ve now got to work out how much of a problem that would be, if she’s perfect in all other respects.

Husband is very taken with her!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Mine was 14.2 at 5 and grew 3 inches according to the measuring stick by age 7, but cobs are known for this I regret very much buying something I don’t think is big enough (my Holstein was 17.2, I’m 5’11) If you’re having doubts, keep looking. As you already have 2 under saddle, there’s no rush, is there?

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Well, we’ve made good use of the long journey home, discussing all the pros and cons. I think we will firm up logistics, have her vetted and go ahead if all is ok.

Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread, getting a mix of views is so helpful - even those who think I’m mad (I don’t disagree with you!) - and it’s really made me think about what it is that I value in this purchase.

SpringArising

Visit site
I think you just know when it's meant to be I know I do if I don't have that feeling of I have to have that horse I walk away.

I don't think this is true, it's possible to grow to love a horse just as it is a person!

I had to be convinced to buy my current horse, and I am SO glad I was. I feel like he is my 'heart horse' :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
Yes I don’t think it’s necessary to flip over a horse .
A horse needs to do your job and friendship comes with time .
I actually did not warm to G at all but he ticked most of my boxes and was very sound tough type so I bought him nearly two years on we are good mates
Harvey was the other sort one look at the video and it was a case of how quick can get on a plane .