Good alternative please?

nicolenlolly

Visit site
New pony arrives this evening and I’ve been given a list of feed that she is currently on. The speedibeet and gut balancer I can manage but she is on falcon fibre care-I can’t find anyone who stocks falcon feeds and when I’ve checked their stockists there isn’t one in Devon :( so please could you clever cookies help me out with a suitable alternative?! Many thanks xx

ihatework

Visit site
There is nothing fancy about that, it’s a pretty bog standard short chop based low energy mix.

The one that springs to mind would be pure feeds, something like pure fibre balance or pure easy

TPO

Visit site
As IHW suggested there is Pure Feeds and Spillers also do fibre based bagged feeds (cool or condition I think).

If horse needs gut support it might be worth just getting a plain, unmolassed chaff and reviewing his feed once she's settled in.

I can't rate Keyflow Pink Mash highly enough and I noticed a big difference swapping to it from speedibeet. If you really want to fall down the rabbit hole of feeding for gut health there is a school of thought that speedibeet isn't good for the hindgut.

I'd never heard of that Falcon feed but having googled the ingredients I'd perhaps consider something else. If the horse needs gut support then some of the falcon ingredients might not be helping the situation.

Good luck with your new girl :)

Apologies for the tangent; my work laptop is broken so I'm having to pass time while IT run diagnostics :rolleyes:

nicolenlolly

Visit site
As IHW suggested there is Pure Feeds and Spillers also do fibre based bagged feeds (cool or condition I think).

If horse needs gut support it might be worth just getting a plain, unmolassed chaff and reviewing his feed once she's settled in.

I can't rate Keyflow Pink Mash highly enough and I noticed a big difference swapping to it from speedibeet. If you really want to fall down the rabbit hole of feeding for gut health there is a school of thought that speedibeet isn't good for the hindgut.

I'd never heard of that Falcon feed but having googled the ingredients I'd perhaps consider something else. If the horse needs gut support then some of the falcon ingredients might not be helping the situation.

Good luck with your new girl :)

Apologies for the tangent; my work laptop is broken so I'm having to pass time while IT run diagnostics :rolleyes:

Wow TPO thank you for a really interesting and thoughtful answer, I must admit I read the ingredients and my relatively limited knowledge thought it read more like rabbit food!😂 I’ve heard of the pink mash feed before and think I looked at it when we were at badminton. Just wonder whether changing feed completely on the first night is foolish?! My other ponies have happy hoof with basic horse and pony nuts, the baileys fibre pellets and protexin gut balancer...would that be just as suitable?

TPO

Visit site
I wouldn't change feeds over in the first week but equally I wouldn't stress about having the exact feed.

If you don't already have speedibeet I'd perhaps soak a handful of your fibre pellets as a carrier of the gut supplement and mix it with some chaff if that's the consistency of feed she is used to.

I like the pink mash a lot. I had an ex racer and my mum currently has one that we fed speedibeet to but found they both done a lot better on the pink mash despite it being lower calorie.

I try to keep things simple so all of ours are on different quantities of pink mash, grass chaff (dengie meadow), micronised linseed and salt. The ones that get supplements get what they require added in too. Back in the day everyone had their own tailored diet and they've honestly done better on this base diet.

KISS- Keep It Simple Stupid definitely works for me! Ha ha

ihatework

Visit site
If you have happy hoof and fibre nuts already in then I’d use those from the outset and save yourself some hassle. Both very similar types of feed.

HeyMich

Visit site
Yep, I can also recommend Pure Feeds, the Fibre balance option sounds similar to the Falcon Feeds one you are after. However, you'll maybe struggle to find the Pure Feeds one close by at short notice - we only have one stockist in our area that keeps it in stock - otherwise you have to order online.

Maybe just get a really basic low-sugar chaff for the first few days and then use what she's used to as soon as you can get it delivered.