Good alternatives to surcingle stoppers

albeg

Visit site
Has anyone found a good alternative to surcingle stoppers for their turnout rugs? One of my rugs has lost its stoppers on two of the straps (bit annoying as I think it came back from the rug repairs like that, having been sent with them, but I'm not sure), and after breaking two stoppers trying to put them on the surcingle, I'm not paying more silly money for another pair just because they're "equestrian items". Looking for something that can withstand mud/sand/wet/cold.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site

albeg

Visit site
Plaiting bands looped round a couple of times works for me.

Lasted less than a day with my mud monster 🙈

know any farmers? lamb castration rings are perfect.

I do! Will see can I nab a few.

I've seen them for sale on a website at £1.30 for a pack of ten.

They look to me very much like little rubber washers... Engineering suppliers (Cromwell Tools, Buck and Hickman, Chronos, Clarke's etc) or a plumber's supplier might have something you could use. You might even be able to find something suitable at B&Q.

Rubber washers would be good. The ones I bought were more rigid so snapped as I was trying stretch them. 🙄

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Now that I've looked at them, I think it would be hard to beat the castration rings. About £2 for a box of 100, or £10 for a box of 1000.

There's a special pair of pliers for around £8 (though I think a pair of circlip pliers would work, too).