Good book to help train a young horse!

Becki1802

Visit site
As the title says... I am looking for recommendations for good books that will give me advice on bringing on my 4 year old, backed and hacked this year gelding. He was professionally started in August, he moves forward well but he is understandably green. He does buck but I think this is his personality and age thing rather than a problem. I'm aiming to do BSJA and RC DR & ODE. I am a competent amateur but not much experience of starting a horse from scratch.

I do have a great instructor with lessons weekly (I'd love more but no time or money) and who I can chat to but I can't be ringing her up every day for advice as it isn't fair. There are a lot of dark nights to come of schooling alone and I need a plan and exercises as he is a smarty pants and gets bored easily.

I've looked on Amazon and found:
Train Your Young Horse with Richard Maxwell: An Effective Education from Foal to Fully Grown

Basic Training of the Young Horse by Reiner Klimke

The Young Horse: Breaking and Training by Jennie Loriston Clarke

Unlock Your Horse's Talent in 20 Minutes a Day: A 3-Step Training Program for Every Horse by Richard Maxwell

DOES ANYONE OWN COPIES OF ANY OF THESE OR OTHER BOOKS THAT MIGHT BE GOOD FOR THE TACKROOM SHELF?

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
The first thing I thought when I saw your post was 'How is she going to teach the horse to read?'

Sorry

Anyway, I liked the Jennie Loriston-Clarke book and consulted it a fair bit.

rhino

Visit site
I have the first 3 books in your list and IMO they are all fantastic, if I had to choose one it would be the JLC book, my copy is very well thumbed :D

Blitzen

Visit site
Richard Maxwell and Jennie L-C get the thumbs up from me. (They do conflict with each other a bit - I found Richard Maxwell is quite Natural Horsemanship-y, and Jennie L-C is a bit more old school) x

Becki1802

Visit site
Thanks guys!

So....
Train Your Young Horse with Richard Maxwell: An Effective Education from Foal to Fully Grown
Is this more about their early handling than riding? As I have sitting on him and walk, trot, canter going well! We are just starting jumping!!!!

I should also say I'm an idiot and need step by step as I can't just magically give leg yield perfectly and my horse will pick it up - I need tips when I try the obvious and it is all going horribly wrong!!!

PS Rio is smart but reading is beyond him at this stage :D but I'm glad I made you smile!!!!

fidleyspromise

Visit site
ok, I brought my Richard Maxwell one to work :)

Its about handling and ground work until page 130 which goes on to backing. I would say for actual riding, this won't give you what you want - but for my youngster and taking oldie back to basics, it will be invaluable :)

Becki1802

Visit site
Thanks fidleyspromise!! Sounds like I need to cross that off the list for now...
The Young Horse: Breaking and Training by Jennie Loriston Clarke
appears to still be in the lead!!!

The good news is the little man was quite well behaved tonight... the usual cheekiness though! Lets just pop out through our shoulder when we get bored of circles etc etc!!!!