good conditioning chaff?

be positive

Visit site
The best way to add calories to your feed is probably by feeding oil in some form, it should not make the horse fizzy but will help put on condition. Micronised linseed is good to add to whatever you are currently feeding.

Alfa oil would do the same but the alfalfa may be heating for some horses.

weesophz

www.facebook.com
The best way to add calories to your feed is probably by feeding oil in some form, it should not make the horse fizzy but will help put on condition. Micronised linseed is good to add to whatever you are currently feeding.

Alfa oil would do the same but the alfalfa may be heating for some horses.

ive got him on linseed :) i posted another thread on here and a few people suggested a condtioning chaff, but didnt suggest a brand haha!

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Im trying spillers conditioning fibre with my oldie this year :) along with Veteran vitality by allen and page and linseed meal :)

Trying to keep it simple now hes barefoot :) If this doesnt work then it will be alpha A oil. The spillers fibre is nearly 4 quid cheaper for the same weight :)

pip_dog

Visit site
Sure I read in horse magazine feed pullout that alfalfa was really good for fizzy horses. Hmm. Maybe got wrong end of stick!

Zargon_91

Visit site
energetically speaking, alfalfa in any kind has almost the same calorific content as oats, but its slow releasing so shouldnt make them fizzy. Alfa oil is a double-whammy fattening chaff :)
do you feed sugarbeet? Also high in cals, and low in starches and is actually a forage, not a concentrate so shouldnt make horses fizzy (you can buy unmollassed versions too)
Id also highly recommend fibrebeet by british horse feeds- its unmollassed sugarbeet and alfalfa pulp. it is relatively costly to feed in large amounts but is the only thing that would keep weight on my old cushingoid cob last year. Plus, you can make it warm on really cold days (soaks in 15 mins) for a tasty treat :)

BillyBob-Sleigh

Visit site
I had my boy on Alfa A oil and he hated it! It's quite a coarse chaff with lots of sharp bits! So I spoke to my local feed merchants (same situation as you, needed something fattening!) and got recommended Mollichaff Extra which he loves - hardly surprising seen as it's full of molasses lol but it does have alot of the vits and mins needed and half the price of Alfa A oil.

Kat

Visit site
Pure feeds put weight on my poor doer but it is a complete feed. If you just want a chaff mollichaff is pretty economical and their showsheen or condition chaff would be worth looking at.