Good Equine autobiography's

Fancyfree

Visit site
Really need some help. Looking for some good autobiography's to read as currently stuck in bed and will be for at least another 2 months. Due to a freak accident have fractured 2 of my veterbrae in my back. Have read Pippa Funnell and now reading Mary King. Thought about William Funnell. Has got another suggestions. Need something to help relieve the boredom.

Thanks in advance

Sam

rhino

Visit site
William Fox Pitt's is good, and Nick Skelton's had me in stitches :D

I also like some of the 'older' eventer's autobiographies - Ginny Leng and Ian Stark spring to mind :)

Flicker

Visit site
If you can track down a copy, The Horseman by Capt. J Howard Marshall is absolutely fabulous. He was born in the late 19th / early 20th century and broke, hunted and showed horses all his life, including through the 2 wars. The people he met and experiences he had are beautifully captured and it evokes the 'old school' horsemanship of hot bran mashes, hacking 3 hours to meets and then back again, and even a livery yard with an elevator that took a coach and 4!!!!
Delightful.

minkymoo

Visit site
I can't think of any others I am afraid, but my trainer is mentioned in Mary Kings book - Jon Evans, he rode with her in the early years! :D

I thought her book was really refreshing and very interesting.

ChwaraeTeg

Visit site
Sorry to hear of your accident. Hopefully Nick Skeltons biography by Mary Neal will help pass the time and maybe offer some inspiration.
Wishing you a speedy recovery
Teg :)

minkymoo

Visit site
Ooh actually - Warrior by General Jack Seely, not really an autobiography per se but a wonderful book about a real life War Horse and his journey through the war with his owner Jack. Beautiful book.

Hope you get better soon!

PorkChop

Visit site
The best of those that I've read - and that's quite a few - is Mark Todd's, So Far So Good. He has a real way with words and storytelling.

Of the more recent I thought Mary King's was super.

merrymeasure

www.winningpost-art.co.uk
Echo "Warrior" and WFP's book. Don't know if you're interested in racing but Ruby Walsh's book is good, as is Paul Carberry's and Timmy Murphy. Also AP McCoy.
All good reads I think, even if you're not that interested in racing. Hope you get well soon x

NeilM

Visit site
Ooh actually - Warrior by General Jack Seely, not really an autobiography per se but a wonderful book about a real life War Horse and his journey through the war with his owner Jack. Beautiful book.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^

I have just read My Horse Warrior, and it's a very pleasant read, not long, but with some really interesting comments on training, especially considering when it was written.

I have now just started on War Horse, only got to chapter 3, but it's an entertaining read.

My 'bible' is Horse Wisdom by Henry Blake. It is a compendium of his three books; Talking with horses, Thinking with horses and Horse sense. I got my copy for 99P from ebay. Very non-pc, from a man who spent his whole life retraining and riding 'unmanageable' horses. This one will keep you entertained for HOURS.

leah_x

Visit site
Of the racing variety (whether interested in it or not) the really good ones are APMcCoy, Richard Dunwoody - Obsessed, Timmy Murphy - Riding The Storm (talks about how he thought his career was in the stink when he had to go to prison), Mick Fitzgerald - Better Than Sex is very good and very funny! And Richard Johnson's book is also very good. My mum has no interest in racing whatsoever but was glued to these from start to finish, and also learnt a lot from them.
And one I forgot - Frankie Dettori he talks a bit about a helicopter crash he was in, I found it a really good book. But my favourite was AP's. I really didn't like the man but after reading his book he is my hero!

BlackRider

Visit site
if you can track down a copy Pat Smythe's "jump for joy" is a good read (I stumbled across it in a second hand shop) or Dick Francis's bio is good too.

I've got a really good book about a horse called Leopold who did trick riding in the military, need to check the title tho...

Hope you feel better soon.

Kat

Visit site
I'm not normally a fan of biographies but love Princess Anne's book Riding Through My Life. It is a biography of her involvement with horses, from her first pony onwards. It includes a big section on her eventing career but also talks about her role with RDA and her time as a jockey. Has some lovely photos too.

I recently bought a very old biography of Mark Phillips second hand. That was fascinating, largely to see how much things have changed.

DH has mark Todd's biography and that is quite good too.

LazyS

Visit site

I just finished reading that this morning - was in tears! That was what I was going to suggest. I get books on my iPhone now, its great, don't have to carry a book about anymore and always have the phone on me. I would really like to get the real 'Warrior' book though as it is difficult to see the beautiful sketches, done by Munnings himself, on an iPhone!
Get better soon. :)

Fancyfree

Visit site
Just wanted to say thank you for all your replies. Sorry not replied been in hospital having loads of tests.

Amazon here I come for some retail therepay.

Thank you.

Sam x

SpottedCat

Visit site
Don't waste your money on Leslie Law's - reads like a book where he doesn't want to reveal anything about his life and you may as well just read his BE results!

WFP and Mark Todd's are excellent. Andrew Nicholson allegedly tried to get publication of WFPs stopped and you can completely see why!!

NeilM

Visit site
If you can track down a copy, The Horseman by Capt. J Howard Marshall is absolutely fabulous. He was born in the late 19th / early 20th century and broke, hunted and showed horses all his life, including through the 2 wars. The people he met and experiences he had are beautifully captured and it evokes the 'old school' horsemanship of hot bran mashes, hacking 3 hours to meets and then back again, and even a livery yard with an elevator that took a coach and 4!!!!
Delightful.

After reading this post, I bought a copy of Horseman, as I love older books on horses and horsemanship.

It is am fantastic book, and I cannot put it down.

My favourite snippet so far is about a 'gentleman' who rode 150 miles to a hunt, changed horses and hunted all day, changed back and rode the 150 miles home again :eek:

littlescallywag

Visit site
My dancing white horses by alois podhajsky (spanish riding school)
Lucinda greens royal realm and four square
Mark todd
Mary king
All of pat smythes autobiographies
Mark rashids books are great
Caroline bradley a tribute
Oliver skeete (remember him ? )
Horse boy by rupert isaacson

Think I read too much lol , get better soon