Good for Michael Whitaker

eahotson

Visit site
In a recent article in HH when talking about jumping he said I always have someone on the ground with me.Although I have been to the olympics I can still have an accident like everyone else.AND I always wear a properly fitting hard hat.

Elmere

Visit site
It annoys me when people think they can never fall off so don't wear their hat, both my mum and my uncle used to compete against the Whitakers and beat them, he has in problem horses now, breaks and schools and has a livery yard and he won't let anyone on the yard not wear one, and rightly so

meandmyself

Visit site
I thought that was good too.
smile.gif

SusanFlynn

Visit site
Oh what a breath of fresh air! to hear such sense spoken.

It takes a Big person to say this as well and as we know they are not that big in person but obviously big inside.

I have always admired them and often the few who wore properly fitted hats with straps done up!

vivhewe

Visit site
I saw that, so true! I hate seeing people ride without a hat on; I think it's worse when they have it on but not done up, they are even more stupid than those who don't wear one at all. Chances are it will be their hat they break their nose on falling off when it follows them and smashes them in the face
mad.gif

annaellie

Visit site
hats that are a mile to big are as bad. I let a girl that worked on the yard I did ride my mare in her lunch normally this mare never put a foot wrong even carried my 4 yr daughter better than her 12hh pony did. I was watching this girl ride her and the mare bolted round round the arena her hat fell back and the strap was round the front of her neck and the hat was on the back of her neck as the horse galloped I watched in horror knowing if she fell esp at the speed she would break her neck. She eventully fell I never felt so sick luckly enough she was fine but it proved to this girl no matter how good of rider or horse something can always happen. Its great to hear a rider like michael whitaker speaking with such sense. If only more could follow his lead

Lobelia_Overhill

www.mymiscellanyhome.net
I used to ride at a place where the owner had competition horses (not international grand prix level mind!) he used to jump on his own and not wear a hat. I remember telling him "well if you fall off and bust your head open, you'll get no sympathy off me!"

I went for my riding session one day and he was being very quiet and not making eye contact. After a bit I noticed he'd a shiner... what happened? One of his youngsters had reared up, belted him in the face, and he'd fallen off... apparently he was nearly knocked unconscious. No wonder he wouldn't look at me!! Eejit didn't even go to the doctor to make sure he wasn't concussed...