Good quality hard wearing bridles

EmmasMummy

Visit site
Wee pony is off being backed...but I dont have a bridle for him. So, as he is nearly 7, I assume he isnt going to grow any more, I figure I would rather spent a bit more and get one that is going to last with care, rather than the cheap ones which I know from experience dont last, even with care - too soft and snap too easily etc.

Now, what brand would be best? When I was young it was Jeffries, Sabre, Stubben, caldene...but there is now GFS and Horsewear. I like the Jeffries ones, but also need to consider something that is not too chunky for a sec A. Plain cavesson as well - dislike raised ones!

Squeak

Visit site
I have some Stubbens that are well over ten years old and have been used pretty much everyday and are still in good enough condition that they are still used for competing. I like Jefferies as well, avoid GFS and Horseware, to me they aren't the same quality.

Kallibear

Visit site
If you're willing to spend a decent amount, why not support a local saddler and buy from them? They'll hand make it to your requirements too.

Jo1987

Visit site
I have a James Sterling bridle that is 6/7 years old and has had hard use and not much care, but it still looks good after a clean! Nice supple leather, but chunky and durable - I know what you mean about bridles that are too soft to start with, can't stand them!

Goldenstar

Visit site
I use the Jeffries hunter bridles for hunting they are plain and traditional looking.
They take a lot of punishment and last well and all the pieces are easily bought separately which is great .If you wanted modern new comfort style my Albion KB best 'going to a show bridles 'are beautiful also available in single pieces .

wench

Visit site
Tbh I've never had any real problems with cheapo ones, or stuff bought second hand off eBay, barring one head piece that split.

My horse is on working livery, so does not have anything expensive, and the stuff I have works fine!

EmmasMummy

Visit site
If you're willing to spend a decent amount, why not support a local saddler and buy from them? They'll hand make it to your requirements too.

I actually have this as a consideration! One of the people who used to share my cob is a saddler and her stitching is impeccable...she made some really beautiful things that she used on him.
Trying to get hold of her to find out just how much one would cost.

And out of curiosity...if a bridle is being custom made...can you do away with things like a buckle on a noseband and could you have a fixed browband? Or would there be safety issues with that? Just as those measurements are unlikely to change are they, even with wear to the leather id assume.

I had a trawl through ebay last night and I the size seemed to be the issue for a second hand item (I love second hand quality items as its as if the hard work of getting the leather nice has been done) but findins small pony sized threw back mainly brand new and copious amounts of the £13 bridles (I wont buy one of those ever again as I had a cheek piece snap at a canter on my old cob...and it was brand new.

MyDogIsAnIdiot

Visit site
Another vote for D'yon, gorgeous leather and amazing quality all-round. I've also got a CWD bridle which is the nicest thing I've ever owned but they're not cheap (£300-ish) :eek: and I wouldn't have it if it hadn't been bought for me!

Kallibear

Visit site
I actually have this as a consideration! One of the people who used to share my cob is a saddler and her stitching is impeccable...she made some really beautiful things that she used on him.
Trying to get hold of her to find out just how much one would cost.

And out of curiosity...if a bridle is being custom made...can you do away with things like a buckle on a noseband and could you have a fixed browband? Or would there be safety issues with that? Just as those measurements are unlikely to change are they, even with wear to the leather id assume. .

You could have whatever you wanted. The cheek pieces could be fixed too. You could even have the cheeks stitched to the bit, no billets. Just bear in mind that it makes selling on, if needed, much harder. And you might want to change the bit or the noseband or browband at a later date.

I'd guess a handmade standard bridle to be from about £150, so not much more than an off peg Jeffries. I've not bought one complete before though! I've only bought handmade parts, over time.

Last edited:

Annagain

Visit site
Can't vouch for longevity as I've not had it long but I LOVE my English Bridles bridle. Totally plain (I hate any sort of decoration or raised bits) and it just oozes quality. It sounds daft but it just smells like quality! Reasonable price too. I'm sure someone said the owner of the company comes on here?

http://www.englishbridles.co.uk/

Darkwater

Visit site
I've just bought a very reasonably priced Dever english leather bridle for my youngster, it was in the sale so i'm not how sure how much it would have normally been but it looks very nice quality

Kati*89

Visit site
Can't vouch for longevity as I've not had it long but I LOVE my English Bridles bridle. Totally plain (I hate any sort of decoration or raised bits) and it just oozes quality. It sounds daft but it just smells like quality! Reasonable price too. I'm sure someone said the owner of the company comes on here?

http://www.englishbridles.co.uk/

I love mine too! Such lovely quality, sits really nicely as supple leather - I have it as my "best" bridle and it was only £80 - you can request different fittings/colour of fittings etc - very good service, need an everyday one too really :)

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I have a Kieffer bridle that I'm very impressed with. IIRC I bought it in 2006 and it still comes up like new when I give it a good clean (although I have replaced the reins as the rubber grips wore flat).

ThoroughbredStar

Visit site
Bridles are as much of a mine field as saddles these days! I'm very fussy when it comes to tack and any bridle I put on any of my horses must at least have/be;

-Padded
-Cut back behind and around the ear to reduce any pressure to the base of the ears
-Loose browband giving plenty of room across the forehead and allowing the headpiece to sit back off the ear
-The headpiece must be all in one or have the loop over for the nose band to sit on top rather than underneath
-All brass fittings (purely aesthetic and of no benefit to my horse)

I've just forked out on a new Micklem - so far so good.

My last bridle had all of the above and was one of Robinsons own! it cost £40!!! However my mare snapped the noseband off (I'd had it for about 5 years!), getting it caught around something so I then forked out on my new micklem.

Interesting article regarding the nerves in a horses head and how the bridle effects these has been circulating- i will try and find it as it is very useful.....it may even sway your judgement :)

p.s I am now a HUGE fan of the Jefferies Bio Grip Reins!!!

MyDogIsAnIdiot

Visit site
Is it possible to change the browbands on the D'yons? with the headpiece being wide- Am I going to have to be bling-less for the foreseeable future? :O

It's easy to do that - you take the noseband and cheekpieces off and you'll just be left with the headpiece and the straps that the noseband and cheek pieces attach too. Very easy to put a browband on then :).