Good Saddlers in Gloucestershire

hannahlow

Visit site
I am desperately looking for a new saddle after being told not to ride in my current one.

I have used Colne Sadderly and they were awful.

Can anyone recommend me anyone?!

Merlod

Visit site
I have had two saddles from colne and they are great. Did you use Maurice?

The only other fitter i've used in Lindsay Lewis from Cotswold Saddlery, the shop has shut but she is still doing the saddle fitting I think.

Matafleur

Visit site
Have you tried Laurence from Stroud? And was it Maurice who came out from Colne? They are usually pretty good? Although I think saddles and saddlers are a flipping mine field generally.

hannahlow

Visit site
Maurice came out and I told them of my budget and the size saddle mine was (16.5) and they brought 9 18" saddles which were wide and he is a medium, and they ranged from £2000 to £3000! They knew he was 14.2 and it was just a complete waste of time. I have heard so many horror stories about saddlers I just don't know what to do

Matafleur

Visit site
Maurice came out and I told them of my budget and the size saddle mine was (16.5) and they brought 9 18" saddles which were wide and he is a medium, and they ranged from £2000 to £3000! They knew he was 14.2 and it was just a complete waste of time. I have heard so many horror stories about saddlers I just don't know what to do

Was there possibly just a mix up with the details you'd provided? Not ideal and very frustrating I know. What did he say about the fact he'd brought completely the wrong thing?

Teasel

Visit site
Try Jackie Roberts. Came out to me with over 20 saddles all the colour, size and width I had specified. Sent her a picture of horses back from side on and behind showing whithers so she already had an idea of horses shape. Rode in 6 saddles before I picked 'the one'. She was well worth it! I've used other saddlers previously Colne, Cirencester and local and she was by far the best one.

Merlod

Visit site

Tbh sounds like there might have been a mix up, wouldn't call it a horror story - not like they sold you something that hurt your horse, could you have not requested that they come back with suitable saddles with no call out due to the mix up? Seems a bit much to write off a good saddlery just on that experience.

I found them very accomodating, I saw a black country dressage saddle that was the same width and size as my black country gp and they actually held it for me until Maurice could come and fit it, and I did end up buying. We also took my sisters pony to colne as they have an arena - I told them our specifictions and she got to try out the saddles that were suitable and again purchased one.

Annagain

Visit site
Depending where you are in Gloucestershire, a trip to Llwynon Saddlery in Brecon might not be out of the question if you have transport. You take the horse to them so have access to their full range. Graham's bedside manner leaves a little to be desired but you won't get a better fitted saddle. He's incredibly thorough, watches you ride in saddles, lets you try as many as possible and doesn't try to make you buy the most expensive one he has. I make a 2 1/2hr round trip to go there twice a year.

hannahlow

Visit site
Tbh sounds like there might have been a mix up, wouldn't call it a horror story - not like they sold you something that hurt your horse, could you have not requested that they come back with suitable saddles with no call out due to the mix up? Seems a bit much to write off a good saddlery just on that experience.

I found them very accomodating, I saw a black country dressage saddle that was the same width and size as my black country gp and they actually held it for me until Maurice could come and fit it, and I did end up buying. We also took my sisters pony to colne as they have an arena - I told them our specifictions and she got to try out the saddles that were suitable and again purchased one.

I didn't say Colne were a horror story, I said I have heard so many horror stories about saddlers in general. He rang me an hour before the appointment asking what size my horse was, what I was looking for. I'm not very keen on asking them to come back as he charged me £40 and didn't even put a saddle on my horses back. That's why I was annoyed.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Not sure if Julia Garrett comes up your way? She's in Somerset but have only seen well fitting saddles from her of all budgets. If someone only brought 18" saddles to a 14.2's fitting then I would certainly want them to come out again FOC! Not sure how you can take £40 off them otherwise.

Last edited:

oldie48

Visit site
I'm very surprised you had a problem with Colne, I've used them for years, bought many new and secondhand saddles, traded in saddles etc. I've never had a problem, except he can be pretty busy. He's lent me saddles too and let me try new saddles for a couple of weeks before committing. I can't fault him.