Good safe XC courses near to Stafford?

Pidgeon

Visit site
Am after places that have properly constructed and secured XC fences that are not too far away due to cost of diesel!
Currently compete at Eland, and school or farm ride at Somerford with the ocassional spin round Woodside (local unaff course).

Pidgeon

Visit site
Ah yeah isn't that near to Somerford? Had forgotten about that course. I've heard about Smallwood is it just off J17 of the M6 is that any good?

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Smallwood used to be used for the riding club areas, and looks good.

Kelsall is about 40 miles further than Somerford, unless someone knows a good cut across from the M6 lower down.

If he is used to the farm ride at Somerford, why not hire the field - you can make up any number of different courses and throw a bigger fence in now and again to slow him down...?

mil1212

Visit site
Ah yeah isn't that near to Somerford? Had forgotten about that course. I've heard about Smallwood is it just off J17 of the M6 is that any good?

It's not far, I am in Newport and to kelsall I go A41 then A49, takes me the same amount of time. Haven't been to Smallwood for years, it used to be ok, decent fences not immaculate like somerford or kelsall, but safe. I think they still have clinics and it has a livery so probably is maintained.

Just thought of Solihull too? And there is one nearish me - Rudge riding near Pattingham, thats a well built course.

Pidgeon

Visit site
Will have a look to see if there is a shortcut to Kelsall then. Yep been in the XC field a fair few times and on one momentous occassion did the big step up, 1 stride to big step up in the complex just near where you go in :eek: Wouldn't have tackled it on my own, but instructor just said to jump it, so I did :rolleyes: Lots to make him think and slow down in there.
Ah thanks for the tip to get to Kelsall, will have a mooch at that one, Smallwood and Rudge too :D Never keen on the ground at Solihull TBH.

Chops

Visit site
Rudge does not have many smaller fences they are 90cm or bigger. You could also try Lincomb it is the otherside of Kidderminster. Fab course plenty of fences at all heights, 3 waters, well worth the extra drive.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
You could try Berriewood as well. That's BE again now isn't it? I've schooled there and they have a good range of fences - I remember thinking they started a big bit for my liking so they're prob 90cm upwards. Berriewood is really easy to get to from our way, hop on the A5 and it's the other side of Shrewsbury. Takes me about 40 mins.