Good surface for an indoor school - recommendations please

tantallon

Visit site
We are considering putting up an indoor arena at my livery yard - just wondering if anyone has any surface recommendations please. Need something that will take quite a bit of work. won't need endless watering and won't break to bank - oh and I jump so it's got to be a good surface to jump on too :) I know that I may be asking the impossible but would love to hear from anyone who's really pleased with their surface and what it is - plus points and minus would be helpful - Thanks

MillionDollar

Visit site
Im hoping to start work on our indoor may time, depending on pp. I have already decided that we will definitely be having a good quality waxed surface, as yes it will be more expensive, in the long run it will need minimal maintenance including zero irrigation.

If not i would go for silica sand and Clopf fibre.....it will need watering however, but all non-waxed surfaces will anyway.

tantallon

Visit site
Was wondering about the Clopf - I like it and doesn't dig up like some other surfaces do. Would love to put a waxed surface but fear husband may faint if I add the cost of that onto this planned project :)

Britestar

Visit site
There are 3 indoors around where I live, and they all have turf float. They all ride very differently. One is quite 'trippy', but it would be the smallest of the 3 (20x40m) and they do a fair bit of lunging in there.

One is wonderful for both flat and jumping, never seems to move and always rides well.

The third can be a bit wet at times, but rides nicely. My personal favorite is the number 2 on this list

keysoe

Visit site
Waxed if you can possibly afford it
No dust / no watering
Is a much better consideration indoors than outdoors (and you will be doing less square metres)

kerilli

Visit site
ditto this, waxed or vaseline-coated definitely. someone locally has a small indoor and was lucky to get a second-hand surface, i think it had been used for Olympia or somewhere similar, she got a great deal on a super surface, worth asking about.
i really wouldn't go for sand + rubber in an indoor because the rubber can get quite smelly on a sunny day, which is tolerable on an outdoor arena, but might be a bit overpowering indoors...

MillionDollar

Visit site
What size are you looking at?

Ours will be 60 x 20, and I have quotes from Martin Collins and Andrews Bowen which come in at £25k for their basic waxed surface and £30k for their premium one. I've not decided which to go for yet.

I looked into getting a 2nd hand one from HOYS but they were only going to give some silly percentage off and they said they can't guarantee it being free from manure, etc........so tbh unless they give 50% off or higher Im not going to bother, as manure really really dries out the wax.

tantallon

Visit site
What size are you looking at?

Ours will be 60 x 20, and I have quotes from Martin Collins and Andrews Bowen which come in at £25k for their basic waxed surface and £30k for their premium one. I've not decided which to go for yet.

I looked into getting a 2nd hand one from HOYS but they were only going to give some silly percentage off and they said they can't guarantee it being free from manure, etc........so tbh unless they give 50% off or higher Im not going to bother, as manure really really dries out the wax.

Hi Million dollar looking at a 25m x 42m - Don't think I'd get a second hand surface as live up in Scotland - does sound like a wax surface would be best but would have to suss out cost as most of the manufacturers are down in the deep south so there's usually a large delivery cost to get anything here