Good Vibes Needed Please!

sasquatch

Visit site
B had his last round of shockwave treatment about 3 weeks ago, and vet had said earliest he could start to be brought back into work was April 1st, and even then very very light work of 5-10mins walking back.

Vet is coming out friday to basically give him a lameness assessment and me some advice if he is able to come back into work, and if not if there is anything else we can try or if it is just going to be retirement for him. B is field sound without needing any painkillers and even before treatment was happy enough to

He does seem to be walking around a lot happier and back to being a bit of a thug, and he seems to be a bit more bored in the stable and not as content to spend his day eating and sleeping as he was before treatment started which I have taken as a good sign, but I don't want to get my hopes up. He went lame in April last year and every time vet has seen him since he hasn't really seen much of an improvement in him, so I am very nervous. Good vibes really needed!

sasquatch

Visit site
unfortunately not good news, B is still 2/5 lame after nearly a year out of work, several months in the field, steroid injection, shockwave therapy and box rest.

absolutely heartbroken

Sheep

Visit site
Ahhh I'm so sorry to hear that.
A friend of mine sent her horse to a retirement yard in Newry. Could something like that be an option for you? It's essentially full grass livery for about 35quid a week. It might take the pressure off as I know you've mentioned about uni etc before.

sasquatch

Visit site
Ahhh I'm so sorry to hear that.
A friend of mine sent her horse to a retirement yard in Newry. Could something like that be an option for you? It's essentially full grass livery for about 35quid a week. It might take the pressure off as I know you've mentioned about uni etc before.

hopefully there'll be space for him to go up the hill where he is now as it's only £10 a week and they're checked on and given water, if not I may look for somewhere more local. no point keeping a stable as I won't be able to get another horse for at least 2/3 years and he's hardy so all his tack and rugs bar his winter turnout and rainsheet can also be sold to go towards a retirement home for him.

feel like I'm giving up, vet did suggest a neurectomy however it's expensive and I feel like for all he'd be able to do and his age it's not really an option, although part of me feels bad for not trying one last thing for him. 7 years is a long time, and he's mentally not slowed down and I can see he wants to be out doing things again.

Sheep

Visit site
Absolutely not giving up and I personally wouldn't go down the neurectomy route myself. Time and grass can be a great healer. Maybe when appropriate seek a second opinion too, just in case there are other options.
At least he is happy and field sound, though it is still very hard to get such disappointing news.