Good wicking rugs

MissSBird

Visit site
Hey guys

B has taken a violent dislike to his cooler rug, and trashed it in the stable last night. It's not worth trying to save it, and I certainly don't want it anywhere near the washing machine!

He is quite a sweaty boy, so I need something that is actually good at wicking away moisture. The one that is now trashed wasn't fantastic at it.

I know the thermatex rugs are supposed to be very good at wicking, but I'm not sure the budget really stretches to one of them. Any suggestions?

Thanks and crisps!

smac

Visit site
Thermatex do a Cotton Knit Sheet. around the £50 mark. they will make size/colour to order. Go down a rug size and if you want to leave it on over night or if he has small shoulders have them make the neck smaller.

whizzer

Visit site
I have the thermatex cotton knit sheet but wouldn't use it in it's own overnight, it's far too stretchy! I use it for gravel & sometimes as a middle layer rug in the stable. Also got a comfort zone lapel rug which is lovely but can also be a bit stretchy but not as bad as the thermatex.

becca1305

Visit site
I think theres a really good deal on wicking rugs at swish equestrian atm. Ive never had one so dont know how good they are, but was tempted and had to convince myself I didnt need another! :). I have standard material thermatex rugs but wouldnt use them without something on top overnight as it would wreck the material. The swish ones look like they would be okay to use without a top layer at night from the pics the material looks like it wont pull as much. Havent tried PE wicking rugs either, but have their turn out and stable rugs and they are amazing :D.

arizonahoney

Visit site
The swish rugs are like the Weatherbeeta Thermocell which is perfectly nice - you can pick them up on eBay sometimes at good prices (think Weatherbeeta discontinued the line a while back)

KatB

Visit site
Mark Todd Coolex rugs are the same sort of qualiy as thermatex, but lots cheaper. Really nice rugs, and will stay on overnight, as they don't stretch as much!!

SpottedCat

Visit site
Another vote for Coolex here - really good rugs, cheaper than Thermatex and don't stretch. I got mine for about the price Swish are selling theirs in the sale for!

JoJo_

Visit site
I hate fleece rugs. I cant afford a coolex or thermatex right now but I love my Fal Pro Saracen waffle cooler. They have a new colour coming out this year too :)

Sealine

Visit site
I'm a 'Coolmasta' fan. Had one for years for my mare and bought another for my new horse. They last forever and the wicking properties are excellent. Beware the XD one (extra deep) are very deep even on my big chunky horse.

I also have a weatherbeeta thermocell fleece which is not unlike a thermatex. Bought it second hand off of ebay expecting a normal fleece but this one is double thickness and has the quilting like a thermatex. Great for really cold days.

smac

Visit site
I have the thermatex cotton knit sheet but wouldn't use it in it's own overnight, it's far too stretchy! I use it for gravel & sometimes as a middle layer rug in the stable. Also got a comfort zone lapel rug which is lovely but can also be a bit stretchy but not as bad as the thermatex.

Completly agree- if leaving on over night put a rug on top!!

NR99

Visit site
My vote would be the Thermatex if you find you can stretch to it. The originals are stretchy, however we have the thermatex lining with the fabric outer (can't remember what it is called) and use it for all sorts - they are just brilliant and IME exceed the many coolers I have had in the past, Equenox, Rambo, PE, etc. The best it is she is on a shavings bed but they don't stick to it as the woolly bit is inside.

smac

Visit site
My vote would be the Thermatex if you find you can stretch to it. The originals are stretchy, however we have the thermatex lining with the fabric outer (can't remember what it is called) and use it for all sorts - they are just brilliant and IME exceed the many coolers I have had in the past, Equenox, Rambo, PE, etc. The best it is she is on a shavings bed but they don't stick to it as the woolly bit is inside.

Cordura covered

mtj

Visit site
Another coolex fan.

But, if you are on a really tight budget try the tesco fleece - I'm serious.

Saw one half price and thought it was worth a punt for £10. Turns out is has satin shoulders, taped back seam (doesn't stretch) and a fleecy wither bit. Looks expensive and wicks beautifully.

kerilli

Visit site
nobody's mentioned them, but the Lansdown Thermelite rugs are made of the same thing as Thermatex, hold their shape better, wash brilliantly, are well cut (a bit deeper than Thermatex i think), never rub, dry the horse perfectly, etc.
Mine must be about 15 years old, possibly more, but is still going strong and smart enough for shows.
Not cheap, but absolutely worth the money.