Goodbye Ron

Worried1

Visit site
Today I've made a very difficult decision. Ron will go to Rainbow Bridge on Monday, he is unhappy and increasingly showing neurological symptoms. I don't want to find him down in the field unable to get up, that for me is a decision made too late.

So I thought I would share my memories with you of a gentle giant who stole my heart with you, most are happy, some sad.

Ron is one of the kindest, most gentle horses I have ever had the privilege to be around.

He arrived into the world in a big splash! And with his distinct white splashes up his hind legs the name so nearly stuck ;)

Always up to mischief he was an accident waiting to happen, as a foal the first winter, he managed to have pus in 3 out of 4 feet! Even then his co operative kind nature shone through! There's not many 5 month old foals who will stand and have their feet poulticed!!!!

I had so much fun with him, we showed him at Kent County every year from a dial to a 3-y-o and every year he was 4th!!!!!! Nothing if not consistent!

Every year we would take him to a little local show to practice and every time we would get beaten by something that made CP look classy!!!!! :p one of the funniest comments we received was from a judge wearing a pink baseball cap and pink bodywarmer who said he was nice but needed to walk faster! :eek:

I was so proud of him, he was very unusually marked and despite an ugly duckling phase he was in my eyes stunning.

He was so easy, nothing phased him. I could take him anywhere, leading him and pushing a pushchair, he was the ultimate gentleman.

I suppose alarm bells should have rung when he proved tricky to back. But he came good and I decided to turn him away to mature.

He came back from the winter looking a little Lean but went off to be re-backed and was relatively easy.

It's here that I'd like to thank Ron, I actually rode him twice and he never dumped me, so thank you RonBon for looking after me; as he spectacularly dumped one of our working pupils and as you know got Mark off twice.

I knew something was wrong, it didn't fit with his personality and so I got him looked at which is when we discovered he had at some point broken his pelvis and suffered ligament damage.

Over the last couple of months we have tried several things, none of which has improved him, he is deteriorating and I know he's had enough. He's currently out with mini W's Drew, he's on 4 bute so is 'comfortable' but it's not sustainable.

Many off you have enjoyed his progress and followed our journey so far, albeit it's been far too short.

I had so many hopes and dreams for him but sadly it wasn't to be in this life. I hope we get another shot together at Rainbow Bridge, I love the line that says 'mended again' I wish more than anything I could have mended him.

Thank you Ron I've learnt so much from you, In particular i will always trust my gut instincts and try to read signals as I recognise now you were trying to tell me something was wrong.

Wait for me big man, but until we meet again, Hillock will show you the ropes xxx

wilde2

Visit site
Really tragic, such a gentle and beautiful horse. Will be thinking of you Monday, when he will be pain free, and your heart will be aching from doing the right thing.

Firewell

Visit site
Gosh I feel so sad for you, it is the hardest decision to make :(. Ron is one of the lucky ones, he has only ever known love and kindness. Soon he will be pain free and looking down on you from heaven. I really feel for you. I hope Monday goes as smoothly as possible. Dear Ron xx.

chels

Visit site
Oh Worried1, I'm so sorry. So very hard for you, but by far the best decision. Hugs for you, and will be thinking of you on Monday xx

Nicnac

Visit site
So sorry to hear your sad news. My heart goes out to you all as I understand only too well what you are going through x

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
how very sad for you but sounds like he has had a good life being loved and you are still doing the best you can for him.....good luck on monday and hope all is peaceful...

Alec Swan

Visit site
You're a brave, kind, humane, decent and proper person. Ron was a lucky boy to have you. Monday will soon be here and I'm so sorry.

Alec.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
This is one of the saddest posts. Cannot imagine how you are feeling. Ron is lucky to have such considerate owners.

JC1

Visit site
I don't post very often but have followed Ron's story. It must be breaking your heart, but well done to have made such a brave decision. x

Thistle

Visit site
Huge hugs. Well done for making the decision and giving him a lovely last few weeks in the field.

He will be joined by a friends little pony next week who is suffering from cushings laminitis and like Ron is reaching the point where bute is not enough.
xxx

TuscanBunnyGirl

Visit site
:( I'm so so soo so sorry to hear this :( :( :(

I've followed your posts about your lovely, gorgeous boy and he really seems a one in a million horse to have :(
Will be thinking of you, saw this beautiful poem the other day:

Lay down, my friend, and close your sweet eyes.
When you next awake, you'll look down from blue skies.
Free from the pain, you will run in full stride, with friends from the past, through fields far and wide.
With God as your master to take care of you, every day up in heaven, you'll feel love so true.
All of the gifts you gave to me each day will come back to you as you frolic and play.
Then some day, my sweet love, I'll see you once more, as you greet me with nickers as you have done before.
So know that I love you and with me you'll be,
Im my heart everyday as a dream of you free

Maisie2

Visit site
Oh how sad, so sorry to hear about poor Ron. Horrible decision to have to make, but in time you will have the consolation of knowing you did absolutely the best you could do for him. Lots of vibes for Monday.

amage

Visit site
Oh big big hugs to you all what a heartwrenching post. You are doing right by your lovely horse. His has done his best to mind you up to now...I genuinely believe he will now become a very special guardian angel for you all. Big hugs

showjump

Visit site
How very sad, but so brave and caring of you. I only home that if I have to be put in your position I too can make the right decision.