Gordon Elliott

Visit site
It is bizarre how long this case has taken. The BHA are not the most efficient!

It always amazes me how long it takes to do drug results. Anything taken at the races is shipped that day or the next morning straight to the lab. OK there may be a bit of wait but I wouldn't say it would be long. You test the A sample for various things and they test for a LOT of things. Then the B sample is tested. I would say even at the busiest of times you would be 2 months from start to finish tops. Then they obviously need to sit down and discuss it, look through yard records etc but unless they are getting failed samples left right and centre I don't see how it has taken 11 months!

Gamebird

Visit site
It's a slightly odd substance to test positive for, unless the horse took unusually long to metabolise it. It could have been used innocently to staple or suture a small wound, or nefariously to block a mild lameness that might have reduced racing ability, or indeed prevented the horse from passing the trot-up on the morning of the Champion Hurdle. However you would expect its effect to wear off long before it became undetectable - essentially the benefit of giving the horse the drug has gone, but the horse will still test positive, so there is no way of giving it for illicit reasons and expecting a horse to test clean. It is a very short acting drug, so to get the benefit of it it would need to have been administered whilst in the UK actually at the stables at Cheltenham. There are certainly ways you could do that in secret, but it is very risky, the vet would need a stable pass (obviously anyone could have injected it, but I'd say for an accurate nerve/joint block you're looking at a vet), and the stakes, and consequent repercussions, are high. Based on that I suspect it has either been a mistake, cross-contamination, or abnormal metabolism. If you were going to use it to block something to enhance racing ability you wouldn't be a very clever person, and whatever else you think of him, GE is not stupid.

Last edited:

reynold

Visit site
See that there are 85 entries for the Grand National. Only 31 from the UK, rest from Ireland.

21 of the entries are from Elliot. I cannot believe he has 21 horses that are actually safely capable of running in the National.

I can't stand him (even before the sitting on dead horse episode) and I think this level of entry ought to be questioned on welfare grounds.

Does the BHA welfare checking for horses entered in the National also apply to all the Irish entries?

Michen

Visit site
Sorry to bring up an old thread but so disappointed to see Laura collet plastering Gordon Elliot all over her insta.

Whatever you think of what he did, he hardly helps the perception of the industry, and I think it’s sad that an eventer who has so much respect from everyone would associate with someone like this :(

Like Pidgley and Helgstrands son. Urgh.

greasedweasel

www.chamfronstud.com
Sorry to bring up an old thread but so disappointed to see Laura collet plastering Gordon Elliot all over her insta.

Whatever you think of what he did, he hardly helps the perception of the industry, and I think it’s sad that an eventer who has so much respect from everyone would associate with someone like this :(

Like Pidgley and Helgstrands son. Urgh.

To be honest I’m not sure she has “so much respect from everyone” - lots of people remember the Kauto Star debacle.