Goresbridge broodmares, yearlings and foal sales next week (12/10/11)

ElleJS

Visit site
Has anyone any experience of buying a foal/yearling from these sales?

What sort of money does a foal at auction go for nowadays?

Many thanks if you can help :)

ps also has anyone any experience of Watermill Swatch offspring?

Meg2

Visit site
To give you a rough idea at the Elite foal sale at Cavan last week the top price was € 8000 for A filly by Arko III x Puissance and she was reported to be pretty special. These foals were pre selected and mostly by foreign sires, however at Goresbridge there will most likely be a broader range in terms of price and quality. It's a buyers market at the moment so you could probably pick up a bargain.

gadetra

Visit site
As regards price very little! Most will probably go for 3 figures, and not the top end of them either! The very best of stuff is going for pracically nothing out of this country comparitively and it is a crying crying shame. And we wonder why the Irish horses aren't on top anymore! Deja vu anyone?!!!!
Sorry rant over.
There is great value to be had, have a good pore over the catalogue, get there early and look at what u've marked and everything else if you can!!
Have a good time :D
Watermill swatch is a real refiner from what I've seen and has quite dainty sorts.
Good luck!!

stoneybroke

Visit site
Hi ElleJS

yep we go every year and will be there thurs, fri, sat.

We have bought mares and foals at the sale - there will be foals ranging from 100e to approx 6000e. the showjumping pedigrees make the most money esp Cruising in the pedigree.

I have looked at the WS foals and thus far found them a bit light and long in the cannon. PM if you are going, happy to meet you there for a coffee or even a hot port in the sale yard pub.....Not there for mare day I am afraid TOOOO tempting!

We go bright and early tomorrow as we are doing stud visits first.

ElleJS

Visit site
Thank you,

Stoneybroke you have just made my mind up, the hot port swang it for me! I will pm you when I work out which day I will go, need to find a cheap ferry ticket.

I really like the sound of quite a few on Saturday especially the Cantos filly (I have a wonderful dutch mare by one of his sons so very biased) but that will be too expensive!! So perhaps best not to go on that day!

I don't have a big budget, but wow I can't believe some of those prices. No wonder British breeders find it hard over here when bloodlines are going so cheaply. Shame really.

ElleJS

Visit site
haha I would be murdered if I came home with foals plural! I've had a spanner thrown into the works and logistically I now may not be able to go now :(

vineyridge

Visit site
Looks like the cheapest prices at Cavan were for foals by TB sires. SIGH. If that doesn't drive the TB stallion out of the sport horse market in Ireland, I'll be a monkey's uncle. And then where will eventers come from?

Wait! They'll come from WBs, of course, because the FEI has been busy for the last ten years reducing the stamina and endurance requirements of the sport.

Last edited:

Alec Swan

Visit site
Meg2,

thanks for posting the Cavan results. I suppose that to view the offered youngster's dam lines, I'd need a catalogue. Were details of the dams, and their ancestry published? It would be interesting to see if the better (?) priced foals had mare lines to support them.

I agree that the prices achieved were abysmal for the sellers, but then those doing the buying are taking something of a gamble. We still can't say, with any degree of certainty, where our currently straightened times are taking us.

I suspect that we haven't really seen the worst of things, yet. I also think that these difficult days may well prove to be beneficial, to breeders, in the long term. As with the TB industry, all so many of the middle-of-the-road mares, are either being retired or put down, and I suppose that the same will happen to many of the older, or less successful stallions.

It may well be that some of the stallion owners, specifically those on the Continent, will be forced into taking a less than high-handed approach to their potential clients.

vineyridge, I don't agree with you. I think that the best TB stallions, from the sport horse viewpoint, will always be in demand, at least, I hope that they are. Without them, we have little to fall back on.

Alec.

Waterborn

www.waterbornstud.co.uk
Looks like the cheapest prices at Cavan were for foals by TB sires. SIGH. If that doesn't drive the TB stallion out of the sport horse market in Ireland, I'll be a monkey's uncle. And then where will eventers come from?

Wait! They'll come from WBs, of course, because the FEI has been busy for the last ten years reducing the stamina and endurance requirements of the sport.
that would be a real shame IMHO

koeffee

Visit site
theres a couple i llike on ther wed and thurs but i cant make, really wish i had arranged earlier maybe someone would have bid for me?!!!

stoneybroke

Visit site
Ahhh the Cantos filly.....I have it on very good authority that the filly is an incredible mover. The breeder always has great mares and has often topped the sale. We bid on a VDL Cello x Argentinus last yr from him that was awesome on the go - she made 4500 euro and was top filly. I have pm'd you my mobile in case you want to catch up at the sale.

I think it will be depressing overall but the top 5% will still sell well as always.

ElleJS

Visit site
Ahhh the Cantos filly.....I have it on very good authority that the filly is an incredible mover. The breeder always has great mares and has often topped the sale. We bid on a VDL Cello x Argentinus last yr from him that was awesome on the go - she made 4500 euro and was top filly. I have pm'd you my mobile in case you want to catch up at the sale.

I think it will be depressing overall but the top 5% will still sell well as always.

Thought she sounded nice! I've liked everything I have seen from the Cantos line. Not sure my funds would stretch to her perhaps, those top few regardless of the economic climate seem to hold their price.

I now can't make it over there completely gutted :( If you did want to bid on my behalf however?!!! Very happy to discuss further! ;)

gadetra

Visit site

So so sadly true. I went to a TB with my eventing mare in hope for the longterm but I know the foal will make half nothing for me. What incentive do we have to keep breeding the three quarter breds that are so successful?
Alex I think things may be different over here because according to ISH foal returns in the last few years the TB stallion-good or not-now ranks amongst the bottom. If you look at the results from the 90's you see they are far more popular, which correlates (sp) with our succesful 4* eventers that leave the ISH the top eventing studbok. But that statistic is seriously teniuos when you consider that the Half bred and foreign bred sires account for the vast majority of foals in Ireland for the last few years.
Eventing breeding-where's the incentive?
Meg2 those results are depressing but not surprising. It's been like that for a few years now. It's heartbreaking :(