Gory...field injury

Lill

Visit site
This happened a month ago now - I don’t seem to have much luck with him! He caught his shoulder/leg in the field and ripped it open 🙈😷 interesting how it heals and a shame the stitches didn’t hold. It has closed up more now but I don’t have a photo from the last few days...

EBD27BA1-2CE5-4CC0-A07A-062A7F5451E6.jpeg
CC9A2765-C6B4-4255-85C4-54B82F5BEB38.jpegC53E006D-6A14-412E-AE96-2E1BA94DCA42.jpegEBD27BA1-2CE5-4CC0-A07A-062A7F5451E6.jpegCC9A2765-C6B4-4255-85C4-54B82F5BEB38.jpegC53E006D-6A14-412E-AE96-2E1BA94DCA42.jpeg

{97702}

Visit site
Ooooo thanks for the warning, I instantly had to come and look :D Probably quite good that the stitches didn't hold in some ways as it let the wound drain quite freely - I know from my own injuries that stitches haven't worked when there is stuff under the surface that needs to come out!

I hope he continues to make a good recovery and avoids self-harming in the future!

Mule

Visit site
A lot of infection came out. The first picture looks really painful. It's interesting to see the difference in colour between the first and last picture. I'm another one who finds medical photos fascinating.

Lill

Visit site
Interestingly it wasn’t infection that was leaking out, it was all the dead tissue from the bits that wouldnt seal over and where the tissue was too damaged to repair itself. Vets did a swab test and came back all fine with no infection...I’ll try to get some more recent photos tomorrow if I have enough daylight!

Mule

Visit site
Interestingly it wasn’t infection that was leaking out, it was all the dead tissue from the bits that wouldnt seal over and where the tissue was too damaged to repair itself. Vets did a swab test and came back all fine with no infection...I’ll try to get some more recent photos tomorrow if I have enough daylight!
I see, I didn't know that happened. More pictures would be good ☺️

Visit site
I see, I didn't know that happened. More pictures would be good ☺️

The body has the same reaction to infection as it does dead tissue - it produces puss to secrete the unwanted stuff out.

Op that is quite an impressive wound! I wouldn't have expected the stitches to hold for more than a day or 2 at most but sometimes that is all that is needed to knit enough together to heal from the inside out!

Alibear

Visit site
That looks like a pretty neat and succesfull job, interesting to see. I hope the final bit goes just as well. Just out of interest did they say rest/ box rest/ ride or what whilst it healed?

Fiona

Visit site
Poor chap.....

My pony had a slightly smaller but deep gash on his thigh many years ago, and the stitches didn't hold, so had to heal from the inside out.

It healed perfectly, but must have taken 5-6 months in total, and was in a slightly easier area.

Good luck x

Fiona

Lill

Visit site
He had 3 weeks box rest, then I think 5 days just in at night and is now back out 24/7. These are some more recent photos :

971214D4-9673-4202-844A-5499CC081B3D.jpeg

Lill

Visit site
I’ve been cleaning it with baby wipes and the hose pipe! Vets gave me dermisol cream to put on it and a spray but I can’t remember what the spray is called.

It looks so much better, like the flap has mostly reattached now which is a relief!

Lill

Visit site
I would put a photo of the invalid up but it keeps telling me all the single photos I have are too large? The ones I’ve put up previously as photo collage things so they must be smaller 🤷‍♀️

Mule

Visit site
I would put a photo of the invalid up but it keeps telling me all the single photos I have are too large? The ones I’ve put up previously as photo collage things so they must be smaller 🤷‍♀️
That's been happening to me too

Goldenstar

Visit site
Poor lad and poor you.
When you get that healed it’s worth considering investing in a ACPAT physio to work on the wound area .
You need a physio who has worked on people preferably in the NHS as they will have done a lot of work mobilising the areas around human wounds .
They can show you the techniques and you can work on it yourself between visits .