got myself in a sticky situation

TarantuLove

Visit site
My boy has had a new fieldmate for a couple of days now. But I've found out a few things today about the horse he is sharing with, and would like to have the horse out of my field. I don't know how to say it to the owners, they are lovely, but my horse comes first!

any suggestions?! x

Serenity087

Now would I be a Kentish lass, or a lass of Kent?
Visit site
DO be careful with rumours. They can be malicious and totally untrue.

I heard one of mine was a totally psychotic bolter who had nearly killed one of us. It was so nice of the girl in question (who I had never met, nor have I met!) to let us know of our own near death experience! Because it was sure news to us!

Talk to the owner and see if any of it is true before you make any decisions.

TarantuLove

Visit site

basically he never gets wormed, the owners leave him out on his own even if he's stressing and is the only horse out there, and he can be a monster to handle/bring in - i tried catching him earlier and he didn't want to know!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site

basically he never gets wormed, the owners leave him out on his own even if he's stressing and is the only horse out there, and he can be a monster to handle/bring in - i tried catching him earlier and he didn't want to know!

Well your YO needs to implement a worming policy - that's simple.

You can refuse to handle him. And as he's not yours, it doesn't matter if he's left out.

Serenity087

Now would I be a Kentish lass, or a lass of Kent?
Visit site
Worming - yard policy
Left out on his own - yard policy (ours is a "second to last in brings in the last" type yard. If he's out on his own cos you left him, thats YOUR responsibility!)
Lack of handling - hardly a reason to turf a horse out of a field now... is he dangerous or is it just effort? I've had to turn out a horse who tried to kill me because it was the yard policy at the time... One of the reasons we left!!!

TarantuLove

Visit site
if he is out with other horses in fields around him he is fine, and he doesnt get too attached to fieldmates to the point where he won't leave them, im just a bit worried that if they are the only 2 horses out there and they bring their horse in that my boy will be left out by his lonesome

HashRouge

Visit site
if he is out with other horses in fields around him he is fine, and he doesnt get too attached to fieldmates to the point where he won't leave them, im just a bit worried that if they are the only 2 horses out there and they bring their horse in that my boy will be left out by his lonesome
Well then, just speak to them and say: "would you mind bringing him in if he's going to be the last out, I'll return the favour" or something like that.
And like others have said, a worming program really should be put in place by your YO. If there isn't one, this may be something you should raise with your YO.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site

So if they bring their horse in during the day for a few hours to ride - you would expect them to bring your horse in too - and then turn it back out again????

And what will your horse do for company if the YO does remove this horse from your field??

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
DO be careful with rumours. They can be malicious and totally untrue.

I heard one of mine was a totally psychotic bolter who had nearly killed one of us. It was so nice of the girl in question (who I had never met, nor have I met!) to let us know of our own near death experience! Because it was sure news to us!

Talk to the owner and see if any of it is true before you make any decisions.

^^Excellent advice. I have a horse on my yard that I would never have allowed on had I decided to listen to the rumours. He is the nicest, most well behaved horse on the yard!

ladyt25

Visit site
This post sounds a little OTT. As said, it is the responsibility of the yard owner to ensure there is a worming programme implemented. As for leaving a horse out on its own - is it really a huge issue? Is it just your horse and this one in the field? What happens if they want to take theirs out for a ride - would they have to bring yours in then?

Sorry, I am not on a livery yard so do not really know how these things work but I would say I would be very careful about 'rumours' unless they are from a trusted source (and even then I'd still give someone the benefit of the doubt and make up my own mind!)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site

You need to speak to the YO to ensure this does not happen. Could you arrange for someone else or pay the YO to fetch in your horse.