Got to put on my brave girl pants.... Am I ready for this??

AGray825

Visit site
This evening will mark my first ride on my youngster since he bronced me off (twice... in a row) last year
Gave him the winter off and then in April I sent him away to be back as I had lost my confidence backing him myself.

Apart from a few wobbly moments (and then the backer breaking her shoulder so he was off work for a couple weeks at her place) he's been a little dreamboat there and getting his head around working much better than I expected him to.

So now it's time for me to get on him at her place first, with a view to bringing him back in a weeks time :eek:

I just worry that I'm still going to be a nervous nellie on board and that I'm not going to be a good/brave enough rider for him.... am I being silly?

I can ride my speedy little Welsh D with her excitable canter issues with no problems and total confidence.... I think I'm being stupid, but had anyone had similar thoughts/feelings before? Do I just need a kick up the backside and a firm 'get on with it' type treatment ;)

Tarragon

Visit site
The way I see it is try to set it up so that a successful outcome is the most likely outcome, whatever that is. So don't have any expectations that you will, or should, be able to do A, B and C. Instead, just take it as it comes, and if that means just mounting and then dismounting, but you and the horses are still happy bunnies, then that is a success. It may be that mounting, followed by walking round the school is achieved, or, in fact, you end up going for a hack or whatever. I hope it goes well :)

AGray825

Visit site
How did it go?

Happy horse and happy rider!
IMG_20190606_183454_066.jpg

He was actually a bit naughty to start with (combination of flies and it being quite late in the evening)
But I sucked in my gut and got on with it!

Had some nice walk and trot transitions, walk to halt then back off with just the seat, rode him through some napping spots and all went very very well

Will be back up there to ride again at the weekend and then bring him back home the weekend after 😄

AGray825

Visit site
That is lovely to hear!
And what a lovely looking horse :)
That's great news. He's too lovely not to enjoy.

Thank you both! This has been such a long time coming and sometimes I've thought we'd never get there

He's my gorgeous baby so I've got to do my absolutely best to get over previous experiences and focus on how he is now!