GP v WH

Kylara

Visit site
Possibly on the look out for new saddle (looking for new horse!) and currently can't afford a dressage and a jumping saddle so going down the GP route. Though depending on horse I may save up for a dressage saddle.

So as title really, GPs are standard really (would like brown and please let me know any fitters and brands to avoid wilts/berks) but I have seen a fair few WH saddles about that look similar. I've not had one before and don't know what they are like, especially without seeing one 'in the flesh' if you will. Just thought they may add an extra source to the search really.

Saddle would be second hand and not looking to spend megabucks, so any recs on leather (available in brown!) saddles that may suit would be appreciated :)

Been a very long time since I last bought a saddle and didn't just hop on whatever was supplied by an owner.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
What are you aiming to do with the horse. I would personally never get a GP or a WH and would only have a jump if I could only have one saddle. I do dressage in mine (and hack and everything else).

conniegirl

Visit site
See I'm the opposite to ffion and would only have a WH if I could only have one saddle. WH's are a bit more straight cut than GP Saddles and often with smaller knee rolls.

Kylara

Visit site
I am usually of the same mind, but really can't afford two at the minute and I've had a very good experience with a GP (long time ago and sold it with the equine it was fitted to!) so I'm not too bothered.

That's what I have seen with the WH. Seem to be a happier medium between jump and dressage (and they are nearly all brown!)

Depends on the horse really, bit of everything if capable and if possible train up to some high level dressage, but pure dressage saddles are £££'s even second hand, whilst a GP wouldn't be too much. I'm just loathe to fork out (and not really able to at the mo) for two saddles, though saddlery has changed in the last decade. Still use a lovely old flat hunt saddle on a bunch of sec As and fits almost all of them well (needs reflocking now) but I doubt you'd find any saddles like it nowadays! I've previously had GPS or basic jump saddles fitted, but like I said a very long time ago. Everything has come together to allow me to have my own competitive ride as well as training other people's but in order to get something suitable I've had to stretch the budget so saddle and bridle budget are now very very small!
In an ideal world I'll save for a pure dressage, but I've never found pure jump saddles to be that great for dressage, I'd happily take a look if anyone recommends a particular one though. I have short legs so most dressage flaps are on the longer side so the WH and GP are that little bit easier.
Eugh this would all be much easier if I could find the right horse for a fiver and have it come with a saddle that I could sell or use!

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
It depends on what you plan on doing but if you want to jump I would also say go for a jumping saddle rather than a GP, the WH are fine if you only want to do a little jumping or have short legs, one of my liveries has just moved to a jump saddle from a GP as it was hindering her jumping with her knees too far in front of the flap if she put her stirrups up, she has found a neat, brown jumping saddle that is not too bulky so can do anything in it, it will not look out of place at local level showng.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Well that's why I was asking what you want to do. If you want to mainly do dressage I would get a dressage saddle. You don't need two saddles straight away surely? If your budget is that small you are probably just going to have to take whatever fits the horse and is in budget.

WH saddles are no use for me as I have long legs!

Kylara

Visit site
I have very short legs! And I'm only about 5'1" and a bit.

I'd be recommending two saddles to any of my clients for this sort of horse but there's no way saddle budget could accommodate at the minute.

Current horse being looked at could be great jumping or dressage and I'd like to go dressage with the jumping on the side (get the qualifying double clears for next year so has them if I need to sell in a year) but I think could go far in dressage. I'd like a good dressage so happy to save for one but can't afford at the mo (this horse is budget plus tack budget!) so would be whatever I can get to fit until finances play ball.
I have never found jump saddles to be good for dressage, but happy to be shown otherwise.

Horse currently a SJ and could go out asap with a jump. But 1 need to view again and 2 see if stretching would be worth it.

If I did get GP/WH I'd save until a dressage and a jump could be afforded, but until that time I'd be stuck! Dressage first useless as can't jump, but if you have any examples of jump saddles that can support and not get in the way of dressage schooling I'm all ears!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Ha ha well mine is great for dressage as my coach said as much in passing but it's not cheap. You probably need advice from short leg people anyway ;)

Kylara

Visit site
I'm happy to look at a jump if it works for dressage. That's why forums are good, you get put onto things you hadn't thought if/seen before. What saddle/brand/specific have you got?

FfionWinnie

Visit site
It's a solution saddle, the smart eventer, treeless. The blocks are removable / interchangeable with other blocks which my coach felt would make it ideal for whatever dressage I want to achieve (it's certainly not my main thing but I do want to do some BE80s and will be working mostly on the flat this summer as I've got broken ribs!). It's over 2k and I don't think it's what you are looking for, but it is brown ;)

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I would think about what you want to do most, and then buy a specific saddle for it, then buy the other saddle when you have saved.
I bought a dressage when I got my horse in Jan, enjoyed it and saved and I bought a jump saddle in April. I then avoided buying a GP, AND a dressage AND a jump

Kylara

Visit site
I'll be doing aff SJ (seems a waste not to get the qualifiers at Nov, fox, newcomers etc for sale next season), aff dressage (more if horse takes to it) and unaff eventing as it's got so expensive and for a nice few outings. Hopefully to a fairly decent level so will need a jump and a dressage. I would sell GP to fund second saddle. But don't think I can stretch to a good discipline specific if this particular horse is bought, or any horse at that end of the budget TBH!

Obviously if I find a cheaper horse then it becomes less of a problem! But struggling to find anything suitable for less :/

McFluff

Visit site
Ideally you want to sit in as many as you can - as you may find that the challenge is getting something that fits you both well. Personally I hated the WH saddles that I tried - felt they put me in a chair seat, I was fighting to keep my legs under me. I've ended up with a VSD, but (even with shorts legs!) it wouldn't suit proper jumps or cross-country.

Kat

Visit site
I had a Farringdon WH saddle when I bought my horse. I am planning to sell it now I have a dressage and jump saddle.

It is a lovely comfy saddle excellent for dressage and hacking but I struggled to get my stirrups short enough to be comfortable jumping. Though this was because the seat was a bit small for me and I have long legs. A smaller person would have been fine.

It looks smart competing and certainly didn't give me a chair seat!

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I've ridden in a WH saddle for the last couple of years and whilst I've found it comfortable and fairly adaptable for both dressage and jumping, at very low levels, I don't think it would be good for jumping those size of tracks in.

Kylara

Visit site
Argh! Thanks. So WH probably better for my short self than a GP but I'd be pushing it at novice + BE and 1.10 BS...but I can put that off a bit and focus on the dressage and pop a few 80/90s but not in a dressage saddle! Hmmm
If only I had something that would fit in the tack room, but I've only got pony stuff! And most of that would need some work doing to it.

What's the price difference between WH and GP I wonder. I did look at VSD but I'd rather a pure D saddle.

Any brand suggestions or places to go to try saddles? I'm fairly decent at guesstimating fit of horse but I've never actually worked out seat size for myself. I fit in kiddy saddles so obviously not the hugest of bums ;) and I dont want to be sliding all over the place in a big person saddle :p

I'll have a look for some second hand WH and GPS and look at prices, are the WH like dressage saddles in retaining their second hand price or is it a brand by brand case... Research time :D

ETA just seen a Falcon dressage saddle 16" for quick sale at £150 on Fb. Not a brand I know, but in budget... Any thoughts on Falcon?

Last edited:

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
What sort of shape of horse or pony? No-one can comment on a saddle really without knowing a bit more.

I fit a lot of WH saddles and recommend them for those who want a bit more saddle for showing, otherwise they're really better for flatwork. Some people, especially if short from hip to knee relative to the seat size of the saddle, will find a WH fine as their knee doesn't sit forwards even with short stirrups, but if your knee is more forwards it will either rotate outwards as it comes up over the block, or it will stay behind the block and your lower leg will swing backwards and become unstable. For many people doing a little bit of showing but also have an allrounder I tend to recommend a flat seated GP, deeper seats are harder to jump in.

If you plan on eventing, but not above 1m, then I'd usually recommend a flat seated GP to being with, then get saving for a dressage. For larger jumps or longer legs, or for personal preference, then a jump saddle is better for the job, even if you have to dressage in it for a while.

No particular price difference, it's jump and dressage saddles that are more complex therefore more expensive.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I love my ideal VSD, it has velcro blocks so you can move them out the way/use smaller ones for jumping and larger ones for dressage so it makes it abit more flexible. Never sat in a WH I have liked. Though I do now have a pure dressage bought second hand to go with it ;) but wouldn't want to hunt or hack all day in a jump ;)

However, if I were jumping the heights you intend to I would get a jumping saddle and do everything in that for the time being :p.

Falcon is jeffries ;)

Kylara

Visit site
Horse I'm viewing again is a WB ISH, nothing to difficult to fit. I'd say medium fit, good withers and shape.

If this horse does become mine I'll want a nice D saddle and a decent jump as should be able to get to 1.30 BS if I put the work in and definitely intermediate level eventing, but all depends on finances hah. I think horse could do amazing pure dressage though hence why I'd like to save for a nice second hand dressage.

I've got very tiny legs (custom tiny stirrup leathers from a saddler friend) and have never had my knee over block except on one tiny pony saddle and that was an old school straight cut showing saddle not meant for jumping!

I might look for a jump as well then, but finding one that won't interfere with dressage and leg position could be tricky. Suggestions welcome!

Thanks re the price difference between WH and GP, and the thoughts. Tricksy. Knowing my luck, won't get this horse and it'll be back to looking for horse and saddles later!