Granulosa Cell Tumour

healeyella

Visit site
Hi everyone,

I had the vet out today to my 9 year old mare who has started to show very stallion like behaviour. She repeatedly broke out of her field to get into the other paddock with three mares (she is kept with my other pony so not alone) and became very possessive of them, would stress very badly when taken away from them, and has mounted one. My vet took bloods but did say that it sounds a lot like a granulosa cell tumour on her ovaries. He was very knowledgeable but I think my brain focused on “tumour” and didn’t retain much of the information. He said it would take roughly 2-3 days to get bloods back. In the meantime I would love to know peoples experiences with this. I’ve had a google but most scholarly articles focus on the diagnosing and not the actual treatment and post treatment of the mare. What is the procedure like? Did your mare’s behaviour change post-op? Just general experiences. Obviously my vet will talk me through this if her tests come back positive but I want to gain some knowledge on it beforehand.

Thanks in advance!

Cazza525

Visit site
Hi everyone,

I had the vet out today to my 9 year old mare who has started to show very stallion like behaviour. She repeatedly broke out of her field to get into the other paddock with three mares (she is kept with my other pony so not alone) and became very possessive of them, would stress very badly when taken away from them, and has mounted one. My vet took bloods but did say that it sounds a lot like a granulosa cell tumour on her ovaries. He was very knowledgeable but I think my brain focused on “tumour” and didn’t retain much of the information. He said it would take roughly 2-3 days to get bloods back. In the meantime I would love to know peoples experiences with this. I’ve had a google but most scholarly articles focus on the diagnosing and not the actual treatment and post treatment of the mare. What is the procedure like? Did your mare’s behaviour change post-op? Just general experiences. Obviously my vet will talk me through this if her tests come back positive but I want to gain some knowledge on it beforehand.

Thanks in advance!

It is not cancerous! Can be removed by surgery. Cost me £6k. Unfortunately it was not covered by insurance. It’s quite common.

shergar

Visit site
Top right on this page click on search type in the box Granulosa cell tumour and then click on red search box , you will find more posts that may give you more information.

doodle

Visit site
My old bosses mare had her ovaries removed. I don’t think it was a tumour but multiple cysts on each ovary. She spent 4 or 5 days in the vet school, she spiked a temp which made her stay longer. Recovery was very simple. Box rest with walks in hand to graze for 2 weeks until the stitches came out. Then a further 2 weeks in the field and back into work pretty swiftly. It was keyhole so 3 smallish wounds each side. It made a huge huge difference to her. She was on regumate of increasing doses until twice what she should have been on. She was pretty well unridable when in season. Stressy in field, very dominant and quite bullying to the other horses. Insurance paid out, initially they said they wouldn’t as it was “behavioural” but when vets found all the cysts that meant there was a physical reason to her behaviour and they paid up no issue. Think total cost was about £3500. She turned into a much nicer horse, still had a quirk about her but without the over the top behaviour every 3 weeks.

healeyella

Visit site
My old bosses mare had her ovaries removed. I don’t think it was a tumour but multiple cysts on each ovary. She spent 4 or 5 days in the vet school, she spiked a temp which made her stay longer. Recovery was very simple. Box rest with walks in hand to graze for 2 weeks until the stitches came out. Then a further 2 weeks in the field and back into work pretty swiftly. It was keyhole so 3 smallish wounds each side. It made a huge huge difference to her. She was on regumate of increasing doses until twice what she should have been on. She was pretty well unridable when in season. Stressy in field, very dominant and quite bullying to the other horses. Insurance paid out, initially they said they wouldn’t as it was “behavioural” but when vets found all the cysts that meant there was a physical reason to her behaviour and they paid up no issue. Think total cost was about £3500. She turned into a much nicer horse, still had a quirk about her but without the over the top behaviour every 3 weeks.
Thank you that’s really helpful! Glad she‘s okay now. Vet has said it will be keyhole surgery if necessary but still waiting on blood work to come back

doodle

Visit site
I know her owner thought hard about it but her behaviour was as such that it was getting harder to deal with her. We as grooms of course had the hard work but it really wasnt a big deal. She was sold a couple of years later as a 13yos first horse after ponies and is still with them.

druid

Visit site
Relatively straight forward laparoscopic (standing) surgery unless tumor is too large and needs a bigger incision and the horse has to be put under full GA (unusual, only ever seen 1). Mare usually discharged within 48h. The first 24h can be a bit rough as the insufflation for the laparoscopy causes a chemical peritonitis but they bounce back