Grasmeres or Glaciers?

Micky

Visit site
Have heard rave reviews on the grasmeres but not alot on glaciers boots...but i fancy the leather as have heard the suede can go a bit yukky after a while! Also how long do they last you? I'll only wear mine in the winter as short boots work for me in the summer warmer months...So which wouod you recommend and why?...Feedback pleeeesee :)

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I love my grassmeres however I rarely wear them because firstly, they are so expensive and secondly and more importantly, you can't get them on without a boot horn. This is fine at home, but if you need to take them off anywhere it's bloomin annoying trying to get them back on. It ruins the ankle if you do it without.

I wear Toggi canyons as daily boots and Dubarrys as posh ones and the Grassmeres sit gathering dust.

Tapir

Visit site
I have glaciers now having had grasmeres in the past & I don't wear mine in the summer either but once I'm wearing them, I wear them for everything including poo picking my muddy winter field etc. My grasmeres only lasted about 12 months before they cracked really badly across the toes but to be fair I never cleaned them or anything. My glaciers I've had for two years now and they are fine but this time I've made a bit of an effort to give them a quick clean & scrub before leaving the yard and put leather dressing on them as often as I remember.

BTW I never use a boot horn to get either of the boots on.

I love my glaciers they are so comfortable & keep my feet perfectly warm in the winter. I wouldn't buy anything else now (if I'm in the position to be able to afford some of course!)

Under-the-radar

Visit site
I have Grasmeres - had them about 4 years, never used a boot horn yet to put them on and they are still going strong - no issue with the ankle at all. I do however always leave them with boot trees in, and I do regularly clean and treat them (effax leather basalm is the usual one). Yes - they are expensive, but the Grasmere's were the only country style boots I could get to fit my skinny legs, on account of the laces. I am sure boots without laces would be more convenient, as the laces do need undoing / doing up every time you take them on / off. I do only undo my top laces and don't do both set of laces each time though.

I would say my Grasmere's were money well spent. They are really comfortable and mine still look good as new tbh. As and when these boots die, I will replace with more Grasmeres - but I do need the laces for my skinny legs though! :)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
The glaciers have double the insulation, I have grasmeres as more opportunity to wear them, I don't need to use a horn and haven't ruined the ankle in the last 12 months. I love them they work quite hard and save changing boots between field and riding. They look worn in but not rough at all!

I got them after a pair of derwents started descending mid calf on my not skinny legs!

Just to put it out there too a lot of people seem to like their conistons too. I do think it is shame that they don't do grasmeres in leather.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Lol must just be my skinny ankles then but I can assure you all that Ariat will not guarantee them if you do not use the horn and the trees so it can't just be me!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
My Grassmeres are just going into their 5th winter of 5-6 months slogging at the yard.
Yes, I do treat them once a week (when doing my tack) and I do keep a boot jack and long horn in the car in case of emergencies.
Still pretty good nick, I do keep them in their trees through the summer when not in use. Summer is heritage jodh boots and gaiters for riding, the Tellurides for the yard stuff.

Wanted to try the Glaciers, but whilst the ruddy Grasmere's wont die :D I keep on with them (and the suede still look good)

teddypops

Visit site
My grasmeres are 3 1/2 years old now and as good as new. I wear them all day every day in autumn and winter. I do use the boot horn to put them on at home but they are fine to put on elsewhere with out it.

McFluff

Visit site
I have both. My Grasmeres must be 5/6 years old now, and are my 'spare' pair. Still waterproof, but the suede looks faded. My Glaciers are a year old, and look brand new when cleaned. I wear them every day for all tasks (can't be bothered to change boots to ride). I prefer the Glaciers as they are all leather - but both are very similar otherwise. I find both are warm and I can hack out in deepest winter with warm feet. I tend to use the shoe horn to keep the inside of the boot in good nick - I keep a spare in the car. I also keep the boot trees in them - it does help. And try to clean every week or so (that's the intention anyway!).

SallyBatty

Visit site
The Glaciers are warmer than the Grasmeres and I like them better as they look smarter being leather.

However, I have now got a pair of the Ariat Conistons which I am wearing for their second winter this year. Really easy to put on as they have a zip up the back. Very smart looking - leather on the inside, suede on the outside, with laces all the way up the front which make them very adjustable if you have wide calves but also fit narrower calves like mine really well. And they are so comfortable and warm. i wear them for riding and around the yard and they are still looking good so far (after being worn continuously from October to April). I would definitely go for the Conistons over the other 2 next time I need to get a pair of winter boots.

Micky

Visit site
Thanks everyone...couldnt decide and am still rather undecided after all your replies!! The all leather glaciers are smart and i like the look of the grasmeres too..only difference between the two is warmth and all leather!! Just want to make sure i've got dry and warm feet!!

Mince Pie

Visit site
G'ah! I have my grassmeres which I love but are showing their age, out of curiosity I had a look at the glaciers which are gorgeous but I am not sure I can justify £200 on a pair of boots that would only be used for walking the dogs!

Fransurrey

Visit site
Ooh I didn't know that the glaciers were warmer! I have grasmeres and they're going into their 4th winter. The right boot is split where the stirrup has rubbed, but they're the best boot I've ever had! Rarely used the horn and I'm a skank when it comes to cleaning boots. They get hosed at this time of year but I'm afraid that's it!