Grass colic dilemma?

Acobandawelsh

Visit site
My 11 yr old welsh D is a sensitive boy and has had a couple of bouts of grass colic over the years in the summer months. He has been kept on the yard on concrete and stabled all winter with adlib hay with my mare and they are very settled. I am going away for a week in feb and he will be going to a livery yard for a holiday. Thing is i am worried he may get colic again of he is turned out on the grass whilst hes away ? bit of a dilema as there is no one to look after them here at home so they need to go elsewhere. He may be fine am not sure!
One thought was to keep him stabled for the week whilst hes there and pay for my instructor to ride him a few times a week or to turn him.out for just a few hours in the mornings?
Also they've not been turned out on grass since start of November so they are bound to go crazy!
Ideas?!

LeneHorse

Visit site
I wouldn't suddenly turn out on grass if he's been off it since November and he has a history of grass colic. Mine has had it previously too and I find that if she gets hay with her breakfast before turnout it helps reduce the risks. She also gets a scoop of Happy tummy charcoal in her feed. Maybe keeping your boy in and getting someone to ride every day would be safest in your circumstances. And it would stop you worrying while you are away

J&S

Visit site
My old mare would be the same. Can you ask for a really bare paddock (perhaps used by others all winter) and have hay put out.

Melandmary

Visit site
I wouldn't turn straight on to grass after several months off it even if mine had never had grass colic. My first option would be to get a freelance groom to come to you.... They charge about £12.50 an hour in my area plus travel if they are out of their usual "zone". If that was really not an option i would send to holiday livery but keep in with inhand walks if they offer services and ridden by your instructor. Hopefully yoir horse is not a stress head with yard moves. I wouldn't enjoy my holiday worrying about colic. Hope you get something sorted