Grass livery vs Stable and T/O WWYD type

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think a lot of us get caught up with problems that might occur rather than thinking of the problems that are already clearly there. I'm another who would move.

See I have made my thoughts about the current situ clear quite previously. But I do think it is valid to question what happens if he really cannot cope with unsoaked hay in the field, having known those with RAO who can and those who very much can't, especially when HK says they are fed hay year round.

HK could you pay to retain your stable at current yard while you tested if he was ok with that perhaps?

be positive

Visit site
That is a good point, I think it might depend on how the hay is being fed. If they are feeding it loose on the ground in piles, that would be a concern. Mine has a very bad dust allergy and is fine with dry hay in the field but I feed either in trickle nets or a big bale with a bag over it - so not loose hay blowing about.

I have 2 here with COPD and both are fine eating loose hay given fresh twice a day in the field, I try to ensure that they only get what they eat and not left to get wet and musty, but have to be on haylage if stabled.

I have yet to have one go feral living out 24/7 and at the moment 3 of the 7 are still out and only come out of the field for feet trimming, 2 come in a few nights the other 2 are in at night and they are all much the same to deal with whatever the routine, I think they have less issues with many things such as mudfever if they are out all the time although it is more of a problem to deal with if they do get it.

Merlod

Visit site
I would go for it. My three liveries are still living out 24/7, last year they were in overnight by Nov but I will let them live out as long as the ground allows and it's been really good so far. My own two are in overnight for health reasons (ems and soft hooves) one can get slightly coughy on dry hay so I steam it for the stable but fine on the same hay fed outdoors (presumably the dust can blow away).

Good idea about moving him whilst retaining your old stable. I have done this in the past, much better for peace of mind. If your old yard might be funny about you potentially leaving you could say you are taking him for a weeks training and once you've made your decision either give notice/ return to old yard.

Surbie

Visit site
I'd move straight away. Mine had a mini-yard last year when he was recovering from an abcess. He was unclipped and looked like a yak but even with a restricted area to move in he was warm and well.

I guess my concerns might be managing the hay/dust allergy which I know nothing about and how long it takes to cool down/dry off after exercising, but if you have rugs and have clipped then it's not going to be much of an issue. If you are worried about wet and muddy legs, pig oil and fastidious checking does work.

Do let us know what you decide. :)

Horsekaren

Visit site
i know he can be a beast on the ground at times so i would need that not to happen, because if it is to hard to get him in and out of the field then i wouldnt bother as much and i absolutly cant start to be scared of him again as that is when he takes advantage. I would love to keep my stable on but knowing the exception they have made for him i dont think it would go down at all well.
When he lives our during summer he is always very mellow unless there is a shoot in grass. At the same time it is lovely turning up and him already be in his stable so i can ride bright and early.

Hay is my big concern. I wonder if i maybe try putting dry hay out with him at the moment to see if it flares anything up... but then that could open a big can of worms then having to be in for so long.

So many ifs and buts, the only thing i could wish for would be a stable during winter but then would need services / part liverly ect, there are few in my area and the price rockets.

I love the idea of being able to go check on him and then go out for the day and have a bit more of a life again (selfish i know) but winter is tough, muck out/ ride /turnout all before 7am then has to come in at 2 (there isnt anyone else to get him in) so its very demanding. And who knows what summer will be like if he is on a herd yard in individual turnout.

pippixox

Visit site
Go for it and move now.
Yes there are a few possible issues, but it will probably be brilliant for him,
My friends COPD mare can barely cope a night in a stable even with haylage or soaked hay, but is fine fed dry hay out in the field.

My tb had never lived out for the first 13 years and for his first 8 was a stabled race horse. But 7 years ago I moved area and the only yard was a big herd with grass livery (barn for emergencies). The first two weeks he got tired as I think he struggled to know when to sleep when out as used to stable sleep. But he quickly learned and it has been so much better for him.

I feed and handle them every day on the field and I will tack up and ride my mare from the field after a quick brush!

LaurenBay

Visit site
I'd move. Your current yard doesn't sound great to be blunt.

If it helps my mare could only have soaked hay when stabled. When she retired and lived out 24/7 she tolerated dry hay fine as long as it was of a good quality. She adapted fine to living out.

I think your boy would be fine, it is a lot healthier for his mind and body then where you are right now. I won't lie sometimes I missed the comforts of a stable, but my Horse certainly didn't.

I hate change to OP, it's the fear of the unknown but a saying I am trying to go by now is it's better to regret something you did, then regret something you didn't.

Horsekaren

Visit site
Thanks, i think im pretty set this will be for the best. The fact not one single person has said stay where you are is a big help. I'm so happy at the prospect of seeing him happy, for all i know he has never been happy where he is let alone how he is living as a prison pony at present. I have no issues with stabling but i think an area to work them in is a must. There is no way he can be happy right now, there is only so much food can do to keep him happy, i want to see him, buck, fart , run, groom. He doesn't really move in his paddock as he has to be on watch constantly.

I will keep you all posted!

fingers crossed!

LaurenBay

Visit site
Thanks, i think im pretty set this will be for the best. The fact not one single person has said stay where you are is a big help. I'm so happy at the prospect of seeing him happy, for all i know he has never been happy where he is let alone how he is living as a prison pony at present. I have no issues with stabling but i think an area to work them in is a must. There is no way he can be happy right now, there is only so much food can do to keep him happy, i want to see him, buck, fart , run, groom. He doesn't really move in his paddock as he has to be on watch constantly.

I will keep you all posted!

fingers crossed!

I am glad you have decided to move :) I think the both of you will be so much happier and you'll be glad you moved! Keep us updated!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I have 2 here with COPD and both are fine eating loose hay given fresh twice a day in the field, I try to ensure that they only get what they eat and not left to get wet and musty, but have to be on haylage if stabled.

I have yet to have one go feral living out 24/7 and at the moment 3 of the 7 are still out and only come out of the field for feet trimming, 2 come in a few nights the other 2 are in at night and they are all much the same to deal with whatever the routine, I think they have less issues with many things such as mudfever if they are out all the time although it is more of a problem to deal with if they do get it.

completely agree with this, my oldie who lives out needed soaked hay when stabled but when they need hay now, this is the approach we use and she's been fine. They just have it on the floor and any dust or small particles fall to the ground.

Her field buddy arrived with very sensitive skin being a fairly fine coated arab x and her previous owner advised me she was really susceptible to mud fever. I have done *nothing* special other than make sure they have enough ground to not poach it too badly, I mean it was rough after the last winter but they had enough grass cover to get out of the worst of it. and she's been absolutely fine. They get muddy feather but the hair right at the skin level is greasy and dry, doing its job perfectly.

still standing

Visit site
Maybe just to reassure you a little on your worry about how your horse might cope with suddenly being turned out full time at this time of year, I would suggest you don't worry too much, based on my experience! Two years ago I had to do the same for my older horse (then 20) as he had just recovered from a very serious injury and was being retired to grass livery. He had been stabled at night for all his life and is a fine TBx type. And just bad luck the day I moved him the night temperature dropped to the minus degrees. But he was well rugged, in a field with hedges around for shelter, other horsy company (sedate oldies) and adlib haylage. And of course he survived the night and has thrived ever since! So I'm pleased for you that you that you have decided to move, it just sounds so much better overall.

DD

Visit site
re the COPD I have found that feeding hay outside has much less of an impact on the horse than when it is fed inside. Also the rain /damp/mist tends to dampen the hay making it better fr the horse to eat. you could always sprinkle it with a watering can if you are concerned.

MagicMelon

Visit site
IMO, I believe 99% of horses prefer to live out than stabled if they could choose. I believe a lot of owners humanise them too much...

- He wont go feral. Yes he might get attached to his buddies but he will soon settle into a routine, knowing he/they will come back. I have 2 horses, one is a nervy type but even he is more than happy to ignore the fact his girlfriend who he adores sometimes disappears off for the day to events - he made a fuss the first couple of times, then gave up and accepted it. Same, with when I take her on a hack, he knows she's coming back.
- He wont melt in snow. Nowhere in the UK in my opinion gets much snow compared to other places who manage to keep horses. Even in the worst snow up here in NE Scotland (and living on a hill so when they say "snow on the hills", yep thats us), they dont care much. Its just a hassle for keeping the water running and deiced. Mine have 24/7 access to open stables in their field with a hardcored area out the front where the hay ring sits so they have a nice dry area to stand most of the time. Id definately recommend a dry bit somewhere or you might end up with mud fever.
- He will like living out as long as you dont humanise it, if hes standing looking hunched up with his bum to the wind - thats totally natural.
- Getting on with others is a risk, but he might also get on with them brilliantly.
- Again, with regards to hay - having a "dry" area like a hardcore area is super handy to keep the hay ring on, then it doesnt sit on mud and soak it up. Mine sits on a pallet so it stays clean, I put a bale net over it which helps minimise waste hugely. It does get wet but the two of them get through one every 10 days, they dont care that its wet. It doesnt sit wet long enough to start rotting at all.

I would be a bit concerned about not having a stable though to tack up, or even just to pop him in so his feet can dry off for the farrier for example. Or for medical reasons. a 9x9 stable is tiny, I wouldnt personally put my horse in something that size. I feel bad occasionally stabling mine and my stables are 18 x 17 in size, the horses are 16hh and 15.3hh so not big.