Grass livery Yo's - contract

paddi22

Visit site
Just a quick question for those who offer grass livery. We have a field and 2 retired horses want to come in as grass liveries. Field is rough, but is secure, has water and I check horses in it daily. I'm also happy to take them up to a stable if they need box rest/ are injured etc.

Do people offering anything similar usually do contracts? If so, what would they cover?

Any advice appreicated. we are stuck for cash so it would be a handy thing to do, just don't want to be caught in any weird legal/vets bills if things go arseways!

Kylara

Visit site
Always do contracts. No matter the livery.

Grass livery specific (from general livery contract) you need to decide what the owner is responsible for and what the "yard" is responsible for and stick that in the contract with a clause stating that if they don't do what they are supposed to then you will do it and charge for it (ie, poo picking every day - if they skip a day, you do it and charge them).

State what they have access to as well! And who is repsonsible for damages. A friend a long time ago was caught out - lovely private yard by house with wash box and stables, had a couple in far field on DIY grass livery and they weren't supposed to use the private stable area - kept coming up and using stables, trashing the place, leaving hot water in the wash box on - v expensive! Not written into contract that they had access only tho their field, so hard to get them to pay to fix or stop them doing it!

And the major thing with grass livery contract in my mind (though it's in all of mine and I don't offer grass/DIY) is that you have the right to sell the horse to recover costs should they fail to pay for 3 months. Any excess money goes back to them.

There are a few good templates about that you can tweak to fit you and your set up but those are the most important in my mind for grass livery.

w1bbler

Visit site
Definately need something in writing, especially over non payment of livery for oldies. There is no value in the horses if owner disappears & you are actually left with a bill for PTS
I would suggest a contract + livery payment /deposit in advance.

paddi22

Visit site
cheers, very helpful stuff. I'l have a look on the bhs website. Good point about oldie owners doing a runner. Thanks!

OWLIE185

Visit site
However strapped for cash you are it is not worth the aggravation as it will cost you money in the end.
Repairs to fencing, stabling etc.
Water Costs
Electricity costs
Re-seeding fields
Harrowing fields, Rolling fields and trimming hedgerow
General aggravation and loss of privacy
Removal of droppings (poos)
Sorting the place out once they have left
Any income becomes taxable income
Possible rates

paddi22

Visit site
Yeah im having the debate with my hubbie about whether it's worth the hassle.

Plusses are that fencing is ok (i would be repairing it for my horses anyway)
Field has running water, but no electricity. Doesn't need to be poo pick and is boggy and stoney so harrowing/reseeding isn't possible anyway. Field is very private, and horses wouldn't be coming in and out unless in case of injury or emergency.
So it would have to be understood that it's a basic retirement livery with the horses checked daily and owners updated every few days about condition/weight etc.

be positive

Visit site
However strapped for cash you are it is not worth the aggravation as it will cost you money in the end.
Repairs to fencing, stabling etc.
Water Costs
Electricity costs
Re-seeding fields
Harrowing fields, Rolling fields and trimming hedgerow
General aggravation and loss of privacy
Removal of droppings (poos)
Sorting the place out once they have left
Any income becomes taxable income
Possible rates

If everyone had this attitude many owners would not be able to have horses, many of the costs will stay much the same, electricity in a field? reseeding should not be required if the field is big enough to cope and is managed reasonably well, rolling, harrowing and hedge trimming need doing regardless, this also covers sorting out after they leave.
Removal of muck heap would only be a minor addition to whatever the OP already does, rates will not be put on a field, there will be little or no tax on what is in reality a token amount of income much of which can easily be offset against the running repairs and costs.
If loss of privacy was an issue then the OP has a choice but 2 retired horses will not be the same as a couple of riding horses or kids ponies and all that may entail.

If the cash will help I would say as long as they know the rules and you don't end up providing them with any more than the field and daily checks it will be pretty much all profit and may get the rough field into better shape.

Auslander

Visit site
Yeah im having the debate with my hubbie about whether it's worth the hassle.

Plusses are that fencing is ok (i would be repairing it for my horses anyway)
Field has running water, but no electricity. Doesn't need to be poo pick and is boggy and stoney so harrowing/reseeding isn't possible anyway. Field is very private, and horses wouldn't be coming in and out unless in case of injury or emergency.
So it would have to be understood that it's a basic retirement livery with the horses checked daily and owners updated every few days about condition/weight etc.

Just be aware that it's never that simple! I've got 6 liveries, on a full grass basis, with all care included. They are supposed to be out 24/7, but it's very rare that I don't have at least one that needs a lot more care than you'd think! I've had one stabled since January, one came in the other day with multiple kick wounds, one has had an abscess that just keeps on giving, one has been quarantined since he arrived a month ago from a yard that subsequently announced that it had strangles, and the other two are ok so far - biding their time...And they all regularly break through my fencing, fight each other, try and sh*g each other, and generally cause mayhem - usually at about 10pm, or when it's pouring with rain!!

Make sure you have Care, Custody and Control insurance, plenty of gin, and an emergency fence/horse repair kit...

OWLIE185

Visit site
I forgot insurance as you have a duty of care for anyone on your property so your insurers need to know as well.............................
Make sure that each of the horses has public liability insurance to no less than £10,000,000 (Ten million pounds) as a recent court case demonstrated that is what is required in the event of them causing an accident. Most insurance policies do not provide this level of cover so check their policy carefully.