Grass Seed

Steerpike

Visit site
I have a few mud patches in my fields an area probably an area about 20m x 40m in total.
Now it's starting to warm up and hopefully dry out a little bit I'm thinking of re seeding but having never done it before can anyone recommend the best types of grass seed and the amount I may need?

Achinghips

Visit site
If it's only a very small amount for repair and it is only used for high traffic areas prone to poaching, as opposed to over seeding an entire paddock, you will need a sturdy resilient award like rye.

Steerpike

Visit site
Mine aren't prone to laminates and the areas are around the gates so high traffic areas, thank you for the websites will have a read!

Achinghips

Visit site
Look on eBay. There are some nice 80 percent rye blends specially for horse and pony gateway repair in a variety of bag sizes, nice sturdy swards, good for clay soils too !

Last edited:

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I've found grass seed to be rather expensive in the past so I used to store my hay bales on pallets. Then when a large bale was used I'd lift the pallet & gather up the piles of seeds that had dropped there & bag them up for the spring. I used this on various areas of the paddocks & it used to fill in the poached areas well & cost me nothing but a little time sowing them. :)

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I've found grass seed to be rather expensive in the past so I used to store my hay bales on pallets. Then when a large bale was used I'd lift the pallet & gather up the piles of seeds that had dropped there & bag them up for the spring. I used this on various areas of the paddocks & it used to fill in the poached areas well & cost me nothing but a little time sowing them. :)

I do this as well with my large round bales once the bale is finished all the seeds are left which sweep up and scatter on the bald bits.