Grates - do you ask your horse to walk on them?

filly190

Visit site
I would'nt in case of an accident. I do see others walking their horses over road grates. Whats the general opinion

sally2008

Visit site
Never - far too slippery and asking for trouble in my opinion. Also, I once saw one of the small round grates give way under a horse and trap it's foot. Fortunately it was a very sensible sort and he just stood there calmly but it was a hell of a job to extract him.

evsj

Visit site
You mean cattle grates, right? Never walk a horse on them - I clearly remember a friends pony bolting when we were kids and running over one. It had to be PTS after wedging its foot between the bars and panicking.
I know a horse has bigger feet which are less likely to slip thru but its not worth the risk anyway.

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
No - think we are talking about drain covers which have small bars with approx 1" gap between them. They are terribly slippery. The problem is that if you walk round them, your horse gets used to avoiding them and gives them bigger ad bigger margins and eventually gets really worried about them (or at least mine did!)

xxcharlottexx

Visit site
I dont particularly walk over the, but dont particualrly avoid them either

my neddy at will times spook at them, so in these case, i will ask him to go over one depending on size, if it is wet or covered with leaves...