grazing muzzle wearing down front teeth

staffylover

Visit site
My cob happily wears a Greenguard grazing muzzle when in the field, but I'm concerned that it is probably wearing down her front teeth over the years. The horse dentists isn't worried about her teeth at the moment, and wisely points out that a bit of tooth wear is preferable to getting laminitis. What do people think of the Thinline grazing muzzle, which is made of soft plastic, and is supposed to avoid this teeth wearing? Going without a grazing muzzle is not an option during summer. Thanks for your input, in advance.

Nicnac

Visit site
I've got both. My dentist did say the Greenguard was wearing his teeth slightly but as you say - far better that than lami or all the other weight issues they can have. It's good to have a couple of different muzzles to alternate which is what I do. I still think the Greenguard is the best for weight control.

HashRouge

Visit site
I've heard really good things about the Thinline from other posters on here. I almost bought one last year on the back of the recommendations but managed to get the weight down with restricted grazing instead. It would be my go to in the future if I needed one.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
An old pony here wore a muzzle a lot and ended up with the centre teeth virtually worn to the gum. Otherwise ok though.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
greenguards do seem to be bad for this, I've used a dinky ponies (def no wear but they sometimes learn to eat it) and a shires deluxe. For me both gave less grass than those wearing greenguards seemed to manage, but the greenguards were more readily accepted.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
fwiw I know a couple of older ponies wh have never worn muzzles, but who have only ever had access to very short grass, who have worn down their front teeth. I've not have an issues with muzzles and teeth but use Shires (dinky muzzles are not sized well for small natives with big heads) muzzles. This year I am trying to do without muzzling at all but I reckon they would have the measure of the thin line in about 5 minutes.

Squeak

Visit site
I've heard of people having that problem with the greenguard and I had problems with it rubbing their lips quite badly. I bought the thinline and thought it was much nicer for them than the others however the horse I had it on really didn't get on with muzzles and would rub herself raw on it trying to pull it off.

If I needed to use a muzzle I would still go for the thinline but have a shires comfort muzzle or dinky muzzle to alternate it with if needed.

Marnie

Visit site
I had problems with the greenguard rubbing the chins of both my pony and cob. I bought a thinline last year for my pony and found it was great - I like that it isn't too close fitting so didn't seem too hot. I was worried that it would break easily but was a lot more robust than I expected and only 1 cable tie broke over the whole summer.

holeymoley

Visit site
I've never had a problem with both the thinline muzzles. Mine wears them almost all year round and his teeth are fine. I have heard various people say the Greenguard wears down teeth.

staffylover

Visit site
Thank you everyone, most helpful. I think I'll get a thinline and probably alternate with the Greenguard. If anyone is worried that the Greenguard allows them to eat too much you can just put duck tape over the slits as desired to reduce intake. Works well.

Highmileagecob

Visit site
My cob has worn an American Tough1 Easy Breathe 24/7 with no problems at all. The hole is square, about half the size of a credit card, and allowed 50% of his normal (greedy) intake. Whatever you get, make sure the muzzle bit is big enough to allow his jaws to move properly.

La987

New User
Visit site
I’m a bit peeved with the Thinline muzzle.. I was so happy to try it this year, but it’s literally taken my horse 2 weeks to destroy the hole on the bottom of it.. according to their website if this happens you’ll need a new one (sounds like a known problem due to the flimsy material). Her neighbour has done almost the same thing on the bottom hole. Mine has also managed to rub her nose and chin raw somehow.. even more than when she wore a traditional shires muzzle. Feel like it was a lot of money down the drain :/ I know they’re great for some people.. but not in my experience

La987

New User
Visit site
I’m a bit peeved with the Thinline muzzle.. I was so happy to try it this year, but it’s literally taken my horse 2 weeks to destroy the hole on the bottom of it.. according to their website if this happens you’ll need a new one (sounds like a known problem due to the flimsy material). Her neighbour has done almost the same thing on the bottom hole. Mine has also managed to rub her nose and chin raw somehow.. even more than when she wore a traditional shires muzzle. Feel like it was a lot of money down the drain :/ I know they’re great for some people.. but not in my experience
Also just to add.. I ensured it was fitted correctly and had it checked by other people with one

holeymoley

Visit site

I have no answer to how they can be worn down, my gelding has had his for 2 years and there’s no wear in it whatsoever. I think they’re fab. Mine got rubbed raw in shires and my friend’s mare got rubbed raw in a greenguard. Most of my yard have the thinline and no one has got rubbed at all, if anything slightly rubbing from the headcollar buckles.

scats

Visit site
I have no answer to how they can be worn down, my gelding has had his for 2 years and there’s no wear in it whatsoever. I think they’re fab. Mine got rubbed raw in shires and my friend’s mare got rubbed raw in a greenguard. Most of my yard have the thinline and no one has got rubbed at all, if anything slightly rubbing from the headcollar buckles.

Same here. 2 years use with 2 flexible filly muzzles and no wear and tear or rubs.

Boulty

Visit site
Contact thinline & they should replace if you've not had long. My Highland thug destroyed the hole in one of his after 3 or 4 months & even though it was concluded to be a wear & tear thing they deemed that I'd fitted it correctly from photos & that it should have lasted longer before splitting so sent me a replacement for free. (& Then checked fit of replacement via photos) If you're getting rubbing on chin it may need to be loosened at the bottom as it shouldn't be coming into contact at all I don't think? He did also completely murder one by nearly cleaving it in half but I figured that was more of a freak occurance / entirely down to the horse & not a manufacturing fault so never contacted them about that