Grazing muzzle what you’re opinion.

Buster2020

Visit site
So I was considering buying a grazing muzzle for my horse. She is a overweight not terribly overweight but she could do with losing a few few pounds. She is in big field with a lot of grass. There is no fat field or strip grazing on the yard .

Do you think she would benefit from using a grazing muzzle. I was thinking of buying greenguard grazing muzzle . It just looks a lot nicer to ware than the other ones. Dos anyone have experienced with them and what’s you’re opinion on grazing muzzle?

doodle

Visit site
Minto wore one so he could graze with his buddy. Even separating then by a fence so Minto could have less didn’t work. He had a bog standard shires one with copious amount of sheepskin to stop the rubbing. Worked well but they were in at night. Not sure I would want to leave in all the time.

Griffin

Visit site
Personally, I don't use them because I just think it must be horribly frustrating for the horse (although I totally understand that many people have a different opinion) and I would have concerns about them getting caught/damaging teeth.

There are other ways of getting the weight off which are less drastic without strip grazing that you could try. Upping the workload (works well for my mare who only has to look at grass to put on weight) even just a bit can help. You could also try bringing in for a few hours in the day and giving hay (or a hay/straw mix). Also, although it is hot at the moment, the temperature will soon start dropping at night, so if you leave your horse unrugged, that really helps to shift the weight.

I would also say that weigh taping your horse regularly and monitoring their weight can help you to work out if what you're doing is successful. Good luck.

mustardsmum

Visit site
Have a look at the Thinline Flexible Filly. They are expensive but there is no rubbing and ponies accept them happily. There is no soggy webbing or sheepskin if they have a drink in them. They seem to graze more naturally than in the other types. They also can be easily attached to either a leather or field safe head collar.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
My EMS pony has to wear a muzzle most of the year, if he didn’t he would be dead and after his sister had to be PTS through unmanageable laminitis I’m not prepared to let the same thing happen to him. I don’t like them but I don’t have a fat paddock, not allowed to strip graze or build a track so using one is a lifesaver for him. His teeth don’t seem to suffer but he has regular treatment to ensure they don’t get sharp or worn.

After many attempts I won’t use a Greenguard because it rubbed him raw. Shires bucket types don’t allow enough air to circulate and he would get sweaty and rub it off his head. Dinky are brilliant, no rubs, washable BUT they don’t last long because he chews through the webbing so now I have a very loose bucket type from Kramer. It is wide enough around the nose to allow lots of air around his face and has an oblong hole rather than a round one. There is a metal ring to attach a lead role to and it is designed like an emergency headcollar.

I have seen a lot of reviews for the flexible filly and some people love it and some horses destroy them in minutes. At nearly £80 for a bit of plastic it’s expensive but if it’s works it is priceless.

Mucking out - still

Visit site
I hate muzzles, however last year mine got very fat so I tried a Shires with lots of nice sheepskin - it rubbed horribly and I refuse to have my horse in discomfort. But the he had a nasty laminitis experience so I decided to try again. I went for the Ultimate and have not been happier. He accepted it straight away and is so happy wearing it, he almost puts it on himself! So impressed we got one for hubby's cob who usually throws his toys out of the pram if food is at all restricted - not a bit! Also very happy with it on. Relief has been immense and they're both nice and slim.
Don't know if yours are out 24 hrs (ours are in at night), but you could always take it off for a couple of hours to give some freedom.

Good luck - I know the muzzle pain!!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I've used one when it is that or individual turnout.

I'd used everything else before I used a greenguard though.
It worked for us as the horses were in during the day so did adlib hay to fill up on then muzzled at night.

IngramsRoughDiamond

Visit site
My mare is an incredibly good do-er and without her grazing muzzle would no way still be able to go out in summer, a friend who is very 'natural horsekeeping' which I have no issue with at all, doesn't muzzle her good do-er and every summer has had various levels of laminitis attacks, she's has been advised time after time to manage him better and that muzzle would benefit him, by different vets and this year again he has had laminitis, the most severe attack yet and he's in trouble, it's very touch and go with him. She now realises it would have been kinder to muzzle him, I totally understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea, but some ponies just have to be, to keep them safe, well and alive

Winters100

Visit site
I hate them, but I use them when necessary. If I have the choice between muzzle or restricting turnout then for me it is the lesser of 2 evils. But I would say that I try pretty much everything else first, including rigorous exercise, so if you are able to then you can try other things.

NinjaPony

Visit site
A necessary evil.

My laminitic/cushings pony is going to have to be muzzled when I move yards. It's either muzzled, or no turnout, which is not an option for a retired pony with hock arthritis. Once nearly all the grass is completely gone, he will just get soaked hay instead. At least this way he can go out all day with my other boy and have some company, and then come in overnight.

I wouldn't muzzle 24/7. I use a dinky rugs one, they don't last as long but are much more comfortable than the bucket type ones.

I've also used a muzzle sporadically for my connie. He cannot work due to damaged lungs, and needs to be out as much as possible, so it's a useful aid to keep his weight down. I don't muzzle on hot days as they aren't well ventilated enough.Now his grass has been eaten down, he doesn't need one.

IngramsRoughDiamond

Visit site
A necessary evil.

My laminitic/cushings pony is going to have to be muzzled when I move yards. It's either muzzled, or no turnout, which is not an option for a retired pony with hock arthritis. Once nearly all the grass is completely gone, he will just get soaked hay instead. At least this way he can go out all day with my other boy and have some company, and then come in overnight.

I wouldn't muzzle 24/7. I use a dinky rugs one, they don't last as long but are much more comfortable than the bucket type ones.

I've also used a muzzle sporadically for my connie. He cannot work due to damaged lungs, and needs to be out as much as possible, so it's a useful aid to keep his weight down. I don't muzzle on hot days as they aren't well ventilated enough.Now his grass has been eaten down, he doesn't need one.
I cut ventilation wholes in mine, they are in line with her nostrils and are big enough that nothing covers them

popcorn1

Visit site
I don't like them and would prefer to strip graze and up exercise.

I appreciate you can't do that though and a muzzle is better than laminitis

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
Don't know if yours are out 24 hrs (ours are in at night), but you could always take it off for a couple of hours to give some freedom.

Don't do this, they'll just gorge themselves silly in those two hours and won't lose any weight at all (speaking from sad experience).

I can't stable mine (ROA) so when he's muzzled he goes into either a yard or a bare electric fencing pen in the field for his muzzle break. He has to have a break from the muzzle for a few hours every day or he gets rubbed, this is in a dinky muzzle anything else he just spends all his time trying to get it off and rubs / damages his face. The muzzle also rubs in heavy rain, I have to bring into the yard for that and I have two so I can put a dry one on. When I'm muzzling I make sure they have straw chaff during the break period so I know they're getting enough fibre.

My experience with a greenguard was horrible (be aware the headcollars that come with them are NOT field safe - I found this out the hard way), and I was later warned off them by my dentist who said they are very hard on the teeth compared to other muzzles.

sherry90

Visit site
I now use a Flexible Filly on my gelding. More as a preventative than anything else. He can still access grass through it but we aren’t on lush grazing. He has had a few sporadic days without it but his weight is kept in check and I’m neurotic about pulses and heat. He had a very mild bout of laminitis last year and I won’t let that happen again. I can’t strip graze or track my field so this is his option to have turnout with friends. He comes in for half the day on ad lib soaked hay and out overnight (currently) with a muzzle. He will no longer by muzzled when the grass has slowed down.
I have used a greenguard but it rubbed and I worried about teeth wearing down, my dentist saw the two muzzles and said he was happy with the flexible filly one over the greenguard. My vet said worn teeth won’t kill them but laminitis definitely can and does.

SEL

Visit site
I use a greenguard. My mare can still eat through it (sucks up hay like spaghetti) but it stops her stuffing herself silly.

Fortunately I can track my field so it's only on if i open up rested areas.

It has caused some damage to her front teeth though.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Frank did the same spaghetti tactic with hay and his shires deluxe when he needed to wear it. I saw that as a good thing as getting plenty of forage just not the grass.

scats

Visit site
I’ve just changed to flexible filly muzzles. Two horses who hated being muzzled and one of them being a muzzle remover, but both have accepted them no problem at all. Expensive but worth it for good doers with good grass. It means they can be out in the whole field and move around as much as they want, but can be restricted from gorging.

Louwills

Visit site
Have a look at the Thinline Flexible Filly. They are expensive but there is no rubbing and ponies accept them happily. There is no soggy webbing or sheepskin if they have a drink in them. They seem to graze more naturally than in the other types. They also can be easily attached to either a leather or field safe head collar.
I seriously considering buying one of these, a friend at our yard has one, she recommended it. My pony is an expert at removing muzzles, even with plaiting her mane! So my worry is I spend all that money and she removes the headcollar, and then happily munches away.

Louwills

Visit site
I’ve just changed to flexible filly muzzles. Two horses who hated being muzzled and one of them being a muzzle remover, but both have accepted them no problem at all. Expensive but worth it for good doers with good grass. It means they can be out in the whole field and move around as much as they want, but can be restricted from gorging.
My pony can remove a muzzle in 2 mins, even when plaiting mane etc! I’m worried I spend £75 and she removes it! So how did your muzzle remover not manage to get it off ?

scats

Visit site
My pony can remove a muzzle in 2 mins, even when plaiting mane etc! I’m worried I spend £75 and she removes it! So how did your muzzle remover not manage to get it off ?

Can your horse get a well fitting headcollar off? Basically the muzzle relies on the headcollar being the thing that breaks in an emergency. The muzzle itself is cable tied to the headcollar.

I wish this muzzle had been around when my Diva was alive. I couldn’t find a muzzle that she couldn’t remove in under 7 seconds! I do think this one would have been a challenge for her (but no doubt one she would have taken on!)

Louwills

Visit site
well hopefully not! I’m gonna have to take a leap and give it a try! I’m sure a head collar is more difficult to get off! Her neck is very cresty and I’m so worried,last week I kept her in, then 3 days I’ve spent trying to keep her muzzle on! Unfortunately as I’m on livery I can’t strip graze etc, she’s only out overnight. Thanks

Bernster

Visit site
Another who sees it as a ‘necessary evil’. Shires bucket types tend to rub and seem quite closed in to me. Green guard worked better but he gets his lips over it and I’ve read it can wear their teeth. I’m waiting for the dinky to come into stock as they seem to have bigger nose holes, but might instead try the thin line one. His field mate has one and they do pop off the plastic tie things, so I think they might need a better tie.

Equi

Visit site
It was a god send for my horse. However the paddock was on the small side and his buddy was able to graze the grass down to a size he was able to eat it in. If the grass is too long they can't get it very well. It needs to be spiky enough to get into the muzzle. If its too long it just bends over.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I first bought a Velcro field safe and the naughtiest pony (who had never kept a muzzle on longer than 10 minutes) sussed sticking his hoof on the muzzle, whipping his head up at speed and it’s off before I shut the gate ?‍♀️
I now use a normal close fitting Headcollar and he’s never removed it. There’s nothing in my fields to get stuck on and the risk of laminitis was my priority as he’d got pretty fat!
Good pony just accepts it very happily and never tried to take it off.