Grazing vs Facilities

Bright_Spark

Visit site
Hi all,

Asking for opinions for a friend, who is looking to move their 2 ISH soon and has been to several yards. Two have ticked the most boxes. Both lovely places, very different set ups, but not sure which one to go for! Both have great pros and cons but yard one possibly more suited for the horses and yard two better for owner (if that makes sense)

Yard 1:
70 acres of grazing
Can be turned out with others or kept in individual paddock (rotated)
No stables, but barn can be used in bad weather/ emergencies.
Owner lives on site and can check/ do horses if required.
No school
Lots of local hacking (5 min on road, then miles off road)
Peaceful keep themselves to themselves kind of place

Yard 2:
Grazing not great
Turned out with others
Stable
All year turnout and can go out 24/7 in summer
School
Hours of hacking on doorstep with no roadwork
Very social

Horses are used to living out, so main concern with second yard is getting them used to being stabled, but likes the facilities and social aspect (having rented field for 2 years!).

Any suggestions, or pointers that we may not have considered would be welcome, or it might come down to tossing a coin :D

Thank you and white chocolate buttons on offer :)

Grumpymoo

Visit site
I would definately chose yard 1. I want my horses to be out as much as possible.

I would also prefer to be on the yard where I got left to do my own thing but if your friend is missing the social side maybe she would prefer the 2nd yard :)

Jingleballs

Visit site
Hmmm it's a tricky one! It seems that these days, getting a yard that ticks all the boxes is impossible - there are a lot of yards around where they have one or the other - good grazing or good facilities but few seem to have both.

A couple of years ago, I'd have said option 1 - turn out is very important to me and I would have loved to have my boy living out all year round.

Now days, my opinion is a bit different- managing a horse from the field in winter can be difficult, especially if you regularly compete - it's not impossible but can be hard work.

Also, I have my horse so that I can enjoy riding - yard 1 shoulds like an ideal set up for the horse but not the rider.

I'd probaby be tempted with option 2 - dependant on how bad the grazing is though? Our grazing right now isn't great due to the horrid summer we've had - our horses still lived out 24/7 from May to October and most are out from 9 to 6 each day but the fields they are in just now are muddy and pretty bare.

We do however have a nice big allweather arena & fab hacking so the fab grazing is the sacrifice I make.

I'd love to have the best of both worlds but where I live it doesn't seem possible - plus, pony is generally happy - he sometimes looks a bit fed up being turned out in the mud but within minutes he's up the hill grazing and is happy to come in at night for his feed and hay.

Your friend will know best what her horses (and she) can cope with.

HaffiesRock

Visit site
I know exactly where your friend is coming from! I would choose Yard 1.

I am on a quiet, private yard with only 2 other liveries (1 being my good friend) I am on grass livery and we have a field that we can school in but its usually muddy. Hacking is brilliant. My problem is no body on my yard rides so I have to hack alone or with my friend who prefers a short walk out. We have no floodlights for riding in the evening.

I considered a move to a bigger yard with a floodlit school and a more social side but decided against it. Same as your friend it was stable over night, cost a lot more, would have meant 2 trips a day etc and not what my pony would like.

I decided to stick where I am as its quiet, people are lovely, suits me and my pony down to the ground. I have to sacrifice weekday riding, but it was the best decision for my pony ultimately. It is a tough one though and I did make a pros and cons spreadsheet :O) xx

PandorasJar

Visit site
Yard 2. Being dependant on turnout. I wouldn't go if it was days they had to stay in, regardless of weather. I think they ought to get a decent day every day. I'd want in writing the minimum turnout daily.

What do you mean by poor grazing?
Yard I shared on, was very nice to look at and lush, but when every horse there was muzzled March-Oct it wasn't in the horses best interest. Last yard had poorer grazing which was perfect, we could have lamanitic prone out 24/7 without a worry yet even the poor doers did well.
Now they're out on acres and acres of free range average grazing and keep themselves sorted out.

Overall, poorer grazing was far easier than lush... however if it means clay paddocks that just get destroyed, I'd go 70acres.

(This is coming from someone who'd always choose 24/7 all year turnout for my own :/)

Bright_Spark

Visit site
I would definately chose yard 1. I want my horses to be out as much as possible.

I would also prefer to be on the yard where I got left to do my own thing but if your friend is missing the social side maybe she would prefer the 2nd yard :)

This is exactly her problem deciding, as her horses are happy living out, but she misses the social side!

Thank you :)

Bright_Spark

Visit site
Hmmm it's a tricky one! It seems that these days, getting a yard that ticks all the boxes is impossible - there are a lot of yards around where they have one or the other - good grazing or good facilities but few seem to have both.

A couple of years ago, I'd have said option 1 - turn out is very important to me and I would have loved to have my boy living out all year round.

Now days, my opinion is a bit different- managing a horse from the field in winter can be difficult, especially if you regularly compete - it's not impossible but can be hard work.

Also, I have my horse so that I can enjoy riding - yard 1 shoulds like an ideal set up for the horse but not the rider.

I'd probaby be tempted with option 2 - dependant on how bad the grazing is though? Our grazing right now isn't great due to the horrid summer we've had - our horses still lived out 24/7 from May to October and most are out from 9 to 6 each day but the fields they are in just now are muddy and pretty bare.

We do however have a nice big allweather arena & fab hacking so the fab grazing is the sacrifice I make.

I'd love to have the best of both worlds but where I live it doesn't seem possible - plus, pony is generally happy - he sometimes looks a bit fed up being turned out in the mud but within minutes he's up the hill grazing and is happy to come in at night for his feed and hay.

Your friend will know best what her horses (and she) can cope with.

I agree, it always seems to be perfect for one thing, but not another!

I think the issue with the grazing is that it doesn't grow too well, so not a lot of it. It gets a bit muddy round the gate, but rest of the field is usually okay according to YO. My friend is just a bit worried there won't be enough grass to keep her two happy!

Bright_Spark

Visit site
I know exactly where your friend is coming from! I would choose Yard 1.

I am on a quiet, private yard with only 2 other liveries (1 being my good friend) I am on grass livery and we have a field that we can school in but its usually muddy. Hacking is brilliant. My problem is no body on my yard rides so I have to hack alone or with my friend who prefers a short walk out. We have no floodlights for riding in the evening.

I considered a move to a bigger yard with a floodlit school and a more social side but decided against it. Same as your friend it was stable over night, cost a lot more, would have meant 2 trips a day etc and not what my pony would like.

I decided to stick where I am as its quiet, people are lovely, suits me and my pony down to the ground. I have to sacrifice weekday riding, but it was the best decision for my pony ultimately. It is a tough one though and I did make a pros and cons spreadsheet :O) xx

Yep, we've started on listing pros and cons! My friend is feeling a bit like how you described, as wants the social side and facilities, but obviously concerned how her horses (and bank account to a certain extent) would cope!

Bright_Spark

Visit site
Yard 2. Being dependant on turnout. I wouldn't go if it was days they had to stay in, regardless of weather. I think they ought to get a decent day every day. I'd want in writing the minimum turnout daily.

What do you mean by poor grazing?
Yard I shared on, was very nice to look at and lush, but when every horse there was muzzled March-Oct it wasn't in the horses best interest. Last yard had poorer grazing which was perfect, we could have lamanitic prone out 24/7 without a worry yet even the poor doers did well.
Now they're out on acres and acres of free range average grazing and keep themselves sorted out.

Overall, poorer grazing was far easier than lush... however if it means clay paddocks that just get destroyed, I'd go 70acres.

(This is coming from someone who'd always choose 24/7 all year turnout for my own :/)

One of the first things my friend asked was if turnout is every day and yes it is. I don't think they have an allowance as such, so can stay out all day or just a couple of hours if wanted.

The grazing just doesn't grow as fast as it gets eaten, the fields weren't really bare and drain well, so shouldn't get too muddy. I agree with you that poor grazing is easier than lush to manage them on, my friend is just worried her two would get hungry (although I think they'd be fine as would have hay in stable and 2 feeds a day).

PandorasJar

Visit site
One of the first things my friend asked was if turnout is every day and yes it is. I don't think they have an allowance as such, so can stay out all day or just a couple of hours if wanted.

The grazing just doesn't grow as fast as it gets eaten, the fields weren't really bare and drain well, so shouldn't get too muddy. I agree with you that poor grazing is easier than lush to manage them on, my friend is just worried her two would get hungry (although I think they'd be fine as would have hay in stable and 2 feeds a day).

I'd get this on contract.

Yard I shared on said all year 24/7 turn out... and then brought your horse in if you left out (always more than one horse left out) was not impressed!

As long as it's managed properly should be fine. I'd just chuck hay out through summer in fields if necessary.

Bright_Spark

Visit site
I'd get this on contract.

Yard I shared on said all year 24/7 turn out... and then brought your horse in if you left out (always more than one horse left out) was not impressed!

As long as it's managed properly should be fine. I'd just chuck hay out through summer in fields if necessary.

That's a good point, I'll ask her to find out about contract. Thank you :)