Greasy patches on cannons

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
My girl had a ding-dong with another horse in the field a some time ago, and somehow ended up with scabs on the front of both hind cannons. Initially there was some filling but never any lameness. The hair grew back in its original colour, but she was left with greasy patches where the scabs were.

I have been trying to gently scrub them from time to time with some hibiscrub, but it never really goes away. If I try to ease the greasy bits off, the hair tends to come off too. Anyone seen greasy patches like this before? And do you know what I can do to clear it up? It doesn't seem to bother her at all, but it annoys me!

casconway191

Visit site
one of my horses has had that and i was rubbing them down after taking off his boots and as you say the hair came out and has unfortunately grown back in white. Not sure what caused it but has cleared up. Fingers crossed yours will too.
Sorry i cant be of more help.
xkx

Phillamena

Visit site
my mare has always had this on her hind legs, rarely wears boots so not a build up of sweat/grease but have never been able to get rid.
Sorry no help but hopefully someone knows the answer!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Hmm, I know they can get grotty underneath boots, but the 'ding dong' was about 18months ago now and she only recently began wearing boots behind as a matter of routine. The boots haven't made any difference. I always keep them clean and wash her legs off after she has worn them.

(she has one black hind, and one white one, so I know the hair is coming back the right colour each time!
grin.gif
)

_daisy_

Visit site
my mare has always had this on both her back legs. ive tried everything. it clears up then after a while comes back. it doesnt bother her so i just keep an eye on it but leave it alone unless there is something wrong.

ABE

Visit site
both my mares have this- i think its a form of mud fever. It never seems to go away? i'd be interested to see if anyone has a solution

Tnavas

Visit site
Wash her legs with Nizeral - you can buy it from the chemist. Dilute with warm water and lather up well with a face cloth. Leave to dry. Repeat for a few days and the stuff should all go.