Great article in British Horse Mag....

Hippona

Visit site
....regarding "rescuing" and calling for responsible euthanasia rather than passing on old and unwanted animals.
Also highlights the dodgy selling on by unscrupulous individuals of animals who would be better off PTS....

Exactly what a lot of us have been saying for a long time.

L&M

Visit site
Agreed - I don't usually read much of the mag but this caught my attention and a very well written article.

Also agree re well regulated horse abbatiors as would provide an alternative to the costs of euthanasia and disposal.

rowan666

Visit site
Ive just finished that, and agree cost of euthanasia/disposal really needs to come down in price, maybe then we will see far fewer old and injured advertised!
However i do think education is key with these 'rescuers'

FairyLights

Visit site
read it this morning. Good article. I'd like to add that today me and friends have been discussing the theory that the welfare people inc the good ones like WHW etc aare actually adding to the problem by taking the unwanted overbred animals in. the breeders get away with it. what is needed is
1. stallion licencing at £500 a year for all colts/entires 2 yrs old and ovewr
2. passport laws enforced.
3. horses going into the human food chain with proper traceability and health and welfare standards.
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/17-rotting-horses-rescued-in-essex/
This appalling situation wouldnt have happened with proper passport control and stallion lecencing. The owners would have been identified.

Last edited: