Great Broodmares

KarynK

Visit site
TB Urban Sea did it again with another group 1 winner in the 2000 gunieas with Sea the Stars. Her fourth group 1 winner and prospective 3rd top flight stallion son, all that and she herself was a top class racemare.

Really sad that she died this year of foaling complications aged 20. Got me thinking a what age / or after how many foals would you call it a day?

Cant help but think it could have been one too many for Urban Sea and that she didn't get her retirement. If she had been another breed she probably would have been used for ET !!

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Good question I am interested in the answers to this as I know someone selling a 19yo TB mare who seems to think she has plenty of foals left in her yet! Well according to their vet.

She has had at least 8 foals possibly 10 so would be interested to know what other breeders think, ie would you push for another 1, 2? I appreciate it depends on the mare, but are you putting them more at risk?

S_N

Visit site
Mares die from complications foaling at any age. Breeding is dangerous, more so for some breeds than others! If the mare has sound breeding conformation and a respected and knowledgeable vet gives the OK, then I see no reason not to breed from an older mare, other than the potential extra expense. By sound breeding conformation, I do not just mean what is visible under her tail and upon internal examination, but also the strength of her back and limbs to carry the extra weight of a foal, as she herself ages. I have known broodmares retired as early as the age of 14 and as late as the age of 27 - I have also known broodmares that should have been retired and unfortunately were not and harsh lessons were hopefully learned......

ETS - I agree Urban Sea was a phenomenal mare, both as a racehorse and broodmare. As was her dam. In fact the family is pretty darned awesome!