Great Dane with possible broken elbow/tumour

Starzaan

Visit site
Hi everyone,

so, my 5yr old Dane has done something to himself. On Wednesday night I came back into the house after putting Baeley in (I was outside for about an hour), and was greeted by Gollum hopping on three legs.

I took him to the vet first thing Thursday, and they said they think it's his elbow as it's quite swollen and obviously painful when flexed. He had an anti inflam injetion, and a course of Rimmdayl. Their advice was if no change by the end of the Rimmadyl then he needs to go back in for x-rays. Also the possibility of a tumour in the joint especially considering his breed, but more likely to be broken as it came on so suddenly.

He is still pretty much non weight baring, we have two days left of Rimmadyl, and then I think we're going straight back to the vet for x-rays. My question is, does anyone have experience of getting such a large dog through a break?

I'm wondering if being so large will mean that his other legs really suffer. He is already struggling to stand for very long - taking him into the garden for a wee he wobbles about and lies down if he's out there for more than a minute or two. He's EXTREMELY cheerful, as always, but I'm just worrying that putting him through a long period of hopping on three legs will mean that he ends up suffering in his hips and other three legs. Obviously I'll speak to the vet, but just thought I'd ask around first.

Thank you all.

Chiffy

Visit site
I had a large lurcher who broke a front leg and spent 6 weeks in plaster. She coped fine and healed well, but of course was not Great Dane size. Good luck, keep us posted.

Bellasophia

Visit site
It may be that he hasn't broken the elbow but has suffered a fragmentation of the elbow cartilage. Look up OCD...it occurs inlarge breed dogs,more usually puppies,,the elbow cartilage can fragment and the floaters in the synovial fluid cause pain to the dog...
He should be x Rayed ....and if it is this,the treatment involved micro surgery to insert a pipe to suck out the fragments....recovery is usually fast ...IF it is this.
I hope it is ,as an elbow break is much more serious.
http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/guide_to_recognizing_bone_diseases.htm

Last edited:

puppystitch

Visit site
I briefly looked after a large male Ridgeback who had a leg amputated - the idea being to assess how he coped before he was rehomed to a family. Not as large as a Dane, but still a hefty dog and he coped just fine. It took him a little while after surgery to get his balance but as far as I know he adapted admirably and didn't seem to be in any pain. I lost touch unfortunately so I don't know whether he was affected in later life. Fingers crossed you get positive news!

Starzaan

Visit site
An update for those who helped and gave advice.

Gollum had a deformed elbow joint, must have had it from birth, and had done something to it, possibly during a seizure. He was in a serious amount of pain and there was nothing that could be done, so we said goodbye on Friday.

Sleep tight Golly dog.