Great time at Goring and some new faces!

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Another short trip :eek: to Goring for the Novice with Pippa. The weekend did not get off to the best start with the realisation on Friday night that after using the lorry mid week I must have left the lights on and we had a totally flat lorry battery. A panicked call to the mechanic (we were leaving at 6am) and he got it started but it then required a drive round to get the battery fully charged which I could have done without - guess I won’t leave the lights on again!

Goring is a lovely event, with a testing cross country that doesn’t really suit Pippa as very technical and hilly, I walked the course and felt it was certainly going to be the most testing track to date. We had lovely stabling at Checkendon Equestrian Centre and even better found a lovely village pub with some good grub.

Dressage day and it was that horrid test 111 that we have so struggled with! I have to say Pip is really trying now and although there were mistakes, particularly in the rein back and halts it was so much better. Even 6 months ago we had no right counter canter so I was particularly proud to score a 8 for this movement.

[youtube]XaE6vXTrVFA[/youtube]

33.5 a personal best for us at this test.

DSC_00452.jpg

Show jumping was a long course, I missed the course walk as it was while I was doing my dressage, I was struggling to suss some of the stridings but kindly the course builder gave me a run down of the course and stridings.

I am so pleased with how Pip has recently improved in the show jumping. She made this course feel very easy and jumped one of her best rounds considering this phase has in the past had me pulling my hair out!

[youtube]1Czjn6sPWSw[/youtube]

DSC_00852.jpg

DSC_00652.jpg

So cross country time (have a look at the course pictures http://www.shoestringeventing.co.uk/coursepictures.html ), I thought it was a tough course with the undulations and hills really making life difficult. Set off over 1 & 2, (sorry only video we got) in a good confident manner.

[youtube]K3tMHpIEGYs[/youtube]

The first question came at 4 with a large saw bench a few strides in front of a big drop which took you down the hill to the water.

4a-1.jpg

She jumped the bench and drop well but rather snaked towards the water however once established on the line jumped the roll top, stride and into the water 4 strides two steps to a brush and away we went.

6abc.jpg

No let up as next was a large log with a bit of a ditch on 3 strides to a narrow house,

7ab.jpg

I was determined to ride this positively and maybe over did it as made the 3 strides seem very short!

A let up fence then *we went down a steep hill before turning to a brush and then 3 slightly curved strides to a step and bounce to a large brush.

9.jpg

She was so powerful here and made the huge fences seem tidily! Some angled rails and a large corner caused no problems before we turned for home and jumped the large spread on a turn to the triple brush, I kept her moving and she really took this on and focused.

DSC_01302-1.jpg

DSC_01372.jpg

DSC_01412.jpg

We finished over another corner and right hand turn to another narrow house which was probably the fence that concerned me most! The striding was 4 strides but a tree had been placed in the middle so you could only be straight and lock on a stride and half away. I popped the corner got the turn and although a slight wobble there was never any danger of running out like many before us!

16ab-1.jpg

Having had a near perfect round I then saw a shocker to the last but it was comfortably small enough for Pip to cope with! We had 10.8 time which was actually 7th fastest in our section and meant we finished a very creditable 6th and even better in the prize money!!

This weekend a change of scene and the Petplan area festival at Tall Trees followed by Gatcombe. I suddenly feel she is very ready for Intermediate but this will probably wait til early next season as currently I find it too painful to sit to her trot! Hoping another 6 months and the hip will be even better and I can sit long enough for a test! Any tips to help??? I need to try and source a dressage saddle but she has such a big movement and I find I am little stiff and locked :(

So onto new arrival number 1! I decided Andy had far too much to do in Scotland (and he is a show jumper anyway ;) ) so persuaded Measles to divert a lovely young event mare in my direction :D

Impy is a 4yo mare by the famous event sire Master Imp (had 4 horses at the Olympics including Zara’s High Kingdom) out of a mare by the competition sire Paris Lights. She has been with me a week now and has settled easily (despite Sarnie & Pip jumping up and down and trying to show off :) ).

She has a fantastic attitude and is a quick learner, forgotten how satisfying the babies are! Secretly hoping she doesn’t move on too quickly as we could have quite a bit of fun!

DSCF1994.jpg

Snapshot105-09-201221-10.png

Finally we lost our beloved lurcher Merlin (aged 15) a month ago so another canine member has come to join Rebel and Daisy! Meet Smartie

DSCF1972.jpg

Tempi

Visit site
Pippa is such a lovely horse :) Well done on your result.

With regards to the pain in sitting trot - have you tried a gel seat saver - it might make her trot slightly more comfortable to sit to? Ive never used one but there is a woman on my yard who broke her back in a car accident and is basically held together by metal pins and she swears by hers. Also make sure when you are sitting you keep it really relaxed and loose as the more you try and sit probably the more it will hurt - does that make sense? (im sure you know that already though). And have you tried maybe lunge lessons (or someone lunging you) so you can just practice sitting loosely and working out the best way you can sit without it hurting?

Just some ideas, not sure if they are any good or not!

Love your new girl, shes a real stunner.

Hows Sarnie?

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Pippa is such a lovely horse :) Well done on your result.

With regards to the pain in sitting trot - have you tried a gel seat saver - it might make her trot slightly more comfortable to sit to? Ive never used one but there is a woman on my yard who broke her back in a car accident and is basically held together by metal pins and she swears by hers. Also make sure when you are sitting you keep it really relaxed and loose as the more you try and sit probably the more it will hurt - does that make sense? (im sure you know that already though). And have you tried maybe lunge lessons (or someone lunging you) so you can just practice sitting loosely and working out the best way you can sit without it hurting?

Just some ideas, not sure if they are any good or not!

Love your new girl, shes a real stunner.

Hows Sarnie?

Thanks have had some lunge lessons which did help. I can sit on a normal horses trot but not Pip's (would have struggled pre accident) Have a gel seat saver which I used when I started riding after the accident so maybe will give a try again. Thanks :)

Fingers crossed Sarnie having shoes on tomorrow and will start work again :D

lex2501

Visit site
Fantastic! She makes it all look easy peasy :) Miss Consistent too! Really looking forward to hearing all about your step up next season, and I can't wait until a certain beautiful bay mare is out and about again ;)

Lovely pics of the new arrivals and very sorry to hear about the loss of your doggie

Joss

Visit site
Well done at Goring - lovely event although years since I have been. Looks like the penny has really dropped with Pippa, no great hurry to move up to Intermediate enjoy taking home some prize money;):D Can really sympathise with sore hips/pelvis just now although mine is for a very different reason. Hopefully time will be the biggest healer & maybe a bit of pilates type thing over the winter to get as much movement back as you can.

Loving the new Measles youngster - how does she find so many nice ones??!!! She looks to quite suit you, you will have to watch that she actually does get sold on. Andy looks to have loads to ride at the moment so great ideal to snaffle one down to your end of the country. I am looking forward to giving Measles my wish list next year & letting her loose on a shopping trip:)

dafthoss

Visit site
Super Pip! Well done :D

RE the sitting trot have you got a comfy native you could borrow to ease your self back in to it? I'd offer mine but your ages away! although if your in the area your more than welcome.

Love the look of the measles horse, hope you can have some fun with her before she gets sold.

Festive_Felicitations

Visit site
Go Pip! She makes the SJing look easy!! And sounds awesome XC. Best of luck when you do move up to Int.

Love the new girl I hope we get to see lots more pics of her and can't wait to see some of Sarnie back in action :) It doesnt seem that long ago you were posting gory pics of her operation!

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Go Pip! She makes the SJing look easy!! And sounds awesome XC. Best of luck when you do move up to Int.

Love the new girl I hope we get to see lots more pics of her and can't wait to see some of Sarnie back in action :) It doesnt seem that long ago you were posting gory pics of her operation!

Can't wait to have Sarnie back although have to admit not looking forward to all the roadwork that I need to do :(

Halfpast

Visit site
Been speaking to Measles re Impy, she said that you would be doing a bit of ridden work on video before I travel 6 hours to see you both;);)

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Super Pip! Well done :D

RE the sitting trot have you got a comfy native you could borrow to ease your self back in to it? I'd offer mine but your ages away! although if your in the area your more than welcome.

Love the look of the measles horse, hope you can have some fun with her before she gets sold.

I think poor Sarnie may have to oblidge with the initial sitting trot practice (when she is fitter!)