Greyhound Agility

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Haha, just have to love that Greyhound, I'm going to send the link to friends so they can also have a laugh.

you would think because Greyhounds are so fast they would be perfect for agility but they are so gangly and clumsy at times not to mention stubborn that its no wonder we don't see them competing.

{97702}

Visit site
I tried agility with Hoover greyhound once or twice........ safe to say he didn't take to it like this brilliant greyhound has done :) Talk about joie de vivre :D

Alec Swan

Visit site
Watching that dog, I came away with the impression that he was acting the fool, he didn't really know what was expected of him, and that he actually looked a little uncomfortable. He DID however, seem to 'apply' himself to the weaving bendy bit (or what ever it's called), and I wonder just as racehorses can benefit from the inclusion of different disciplines, so perhaps greyhounds may too. TD work or Obedience may be a problem for many, but there are certainly other 'uses' that a dog can be put to, and outside it's bred-for purpose.

As Dobiegirl said, Greyhounds aren't really designed or bred to be nimble, agile and all the pace that one could ask for, certainly, but to ask for the concentration and focus which is needed for the serious agility competitions, is asking a bit much!

Just out of interest, has anyone yet applied themselves to 'breeding' and 'producing' Competition dogs? It seems that many come along by chance. Where would one start? Collies, I suppose. Agility work really isn't my thing, but I must admit, that when the 'flying machines' are out there, then they are something to behold!!

Alec.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
There are the likes of Devongem, Nedlo etc. producing border collies for the agility circuit.

The single most impressive agility run I have seen this year was a lurcher - not sure exactly what cross but mostly whippet in appearance - I've never seen a dog move so fast. I think he's in the Crufts ABC final - one to watch! :)

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I think in any popular dog sport, there are people breeding dedicated sports dogs (or dogs which are statistically more likely to do well in that sport because of their genetics), the same way as with working or show dogs.