Greyhound Racing

mon

Visit site
agianst once saw a dog having an injection then shortly after being raced which it pulled up lame, wondered what would become of it, plus what happens to retired dogs, they don't all find nice pet homes, if you don't like it don't support it.

severnmiles

Visit site
Do you think the injection was a performance enhancing drug? If so, can I ask, was this a flapping course or a licenced course?

I am neither for nor against though I feel that more needs to be done regarding rehoming - by owners and trainers - not relying so much on rescue kennels!

CAYLA

Visit site
Im not against racing, it's what they where bred for a love, I do however think it needs strictly regulating and the NGR needs to step it up and take responsibility for what they are making money out of, as well as owners, dogs are discarded of at an average of 3/4 years of age, younger if deemed no good, and not always in a humane manor or a responsible one, trainers also need to take responsibility of treating injury and not taking them of the track and home to suffer in agony to dodge a vet fee
mad.gif

And when passing them on, to do so responsibly, not passing them onto the nearest kid for them to be kept in an allotment or hung from a bridge
crazy.gif

We work along side the greyhound rescue in this area, the man who runs it, used to race greyhounds in a big way, he stopped, he said it's appauling what goes on and how the dogs are treat and discarded of, he now detests it, and rehomes x racers at an alarming rate, and even when he takes them, he has to fight tooth and nail to get them to pay towards helping neuter them.

The NGR do stipulate that owners will be reprimanded and dealt with (whatever that means) if a dog is seen to be abused/neglected, but if the ear is missing, how can they
confused.gif
it's just a farce
crazy.gif

severnmiles

Visit site
Of what I have read on the subject... I completely agree with the above!

How great that the chap who used to train now works to rehome them.

On the NGR website, it states that they donate some 4 million to the rehoming of Greyhounds, where does this go?

I actually would like to go racing one night, but wasn't 100% from a moral point of view, but then I A) work part time in point to pointing and B) support horse racing, neither of which are any better than Greyhound racing!

FestiveSpirit

Visit site
Neither really
smile.gif
I have similar thoughts about it as I do about horse racing - it is what (some) greyhounds are bred to do!

Some owners/trainers are brilliant, give their greyhounds excellent care whilst they are in training, and rehome them themselves or via a rescue organisation when they have finished their racing careers.

Some trainers are disgusting little scum who should be shot, do not care for the dogs properly whilst they are in training, and dump them when their racing careers are over - having first cut off their ears without anaesthetic so they cannot be identified/traced back to the owner/trainer
mad.gif

And I guess there is every variation in between these two extremes!

I have no idea how much support the horse racing world gives to the many horses which dont make the grade in racing, and similarly I dont know how much suport the greyhound racing world gives - presumably not enough, given the number of dogs which are cruelty cases each year
crazy.gif

I do know that at least four ex-racing greyhounds have enjoyed the best possible retirement I can give them, which is nothing compared to the tremendous pleasure/joy/happiness they have given me
smile.gif

pepperandoran

Visit site
I have a retired Greyhound - we got him from our local rescue centre - I have no idea about his history at all, but it is very clear that he has had a terrible life and has possibly been badly beaten/treated.

It breaks my heart to think about it, however he has a great home now and is slowly coming round to us.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
My retired racer is from the better end of the scale, One owner from 12 weeks old to retiring and he went out of his way to find a RGT area that would take a black dog as his local one wouldnt. He also used to go to the kennels and take him out for walks and he now keeps in touch with me about him.
How many ex racers know how to do a proper dumbell retrieve on arrival?