greying out

tikino

Visit site
can a yearling who up to know has shown no sign of greying start to grey out. the reason i ask is my yearling gelding has a strong line of grey hairs just apeared on one of his hind legs and it is just happen ver the last week or so and no injury/ or cuts to cause scarring. he is dark brown in colour and his dam is black and his sire is grey. No goggles etc

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
The no goggles would be very unusual, as greys do start to grey out around the eyes.

ETA. You can get white hairs without wounds. Fungal infections can cause this, for example.

Last edited:

Bennions Field

Visit site
my now dark dapple grey mare was black up till she turned 18 months, she then started to get odd grey hairs on her body, she never had goggles, but just started getting a few hairs turn white, she was 4 - 5 before she was properly 'grey' and has greyed out more each time she sheds her coat.

if the stallion was from two grey parents then he will have passed on one grey gene, but if only one of his parents were grey he should only have a 25% chance of passing on the greying gene. easiest way to check is a DNA test, it cost me around £17 for both my mare and her now yearling (bay with no grey gene)

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
can a yearling who up to know has shown no sign of greying start to grey out. the reason i ask is my yearling gelding has a strong line of grey hairs just apeared on one of his hind legs and it is just happen ver the last week or so and no injury/ or cuts to cause scarring. he is dark brown in colour and his dam is black and his sire is grey. No goggles etc

my now dark dapple grey mare was black up till she turned 18 months, she then started to get odd grey hairs on her body, she never had goggles, but just started getting a few hairs turn white, she was 4 - 5 before she was properly 'grey' and has greyed out more each time she sheds her coat.

if the stallion was from two grey parents then he will have passed on one grey gene, but if only one of his parents were grey he should only have a 25% chance of passing on the greying gene. easiest way to check is a DNA test, it cost me around £17 for both my mare and her now yearling (bay with no grey gene)

BF, it's very interesting that your grey mare didn't get goggles. :)

If T's yearling's sire has two copies of grey 100% of his foals will be grey from non grey dams. If the yearling's sire has one copy of grey, then the foal has a 50% chance of being grey from a non grey dam.

tikino

Visit site
ok guys here are the pictures
DSCF2364_zpsdf0b9f57.jpg

DSCF2365_zpsaee68708.jpg

DSCF2366_zpsee01e497.jpg

DSCF2371_zps84851304.jpg

this is a full body shop also taken today
DSCF2369_zpse000e7e6.jpg

DSCF2373_zps5a789a48.jpg

elijahasgal

Visit site
I am going, on seeing those pics, say that he looks like a grey to me. Colour of skin on his muzzle and eyes, if he was true bay I would expect to be black, but it looks just a little "off" In the pic that he is eating, it may be lighting, but it looks like a little roaning through his whole coat. He looks a smashing sort whatever though :)

cloppy

Visit site
sorry cant help you, but i have the same problem with my yearling. He got a grey patch on his underside in the summer but it has now disappeared,. Mine has a silvery tail. Would you mine if I posted a picture on your thread?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Colour of skin on his muzzle and eyes, if he was true bay I would expect to be black

He's not bay though (no agouti), he's Brown as the OP said. It's also called seal bay, but as I said, not caused by agouti so isn't a true bay.

Thank you for posting the photos Tikino. If he is grey, it's a very unusual presentation. he doesn't seem to have any grey hairs on his head or growing down in his tail like you normally get.

The flecking on his leg does look similar to my chestnut's flecking, which is caused by sabino, but he doesn't have any socks or white markings which you normally get with sabino.

You could send off a few hairs to be DNA tested for grey, or you could wait and see what happens. :D

Please let us know if he gets more flecking. He's a very lovely boy and confusing too! ;)

Slave2Magic

Visit site
I too have been pondering this thought. Your lad looks alot like mine and I was told he would grey out. I'm still not convinced. He has no goggles and no grey hairs as yet anywhere.
2012-08-16163142.jpg

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Another mystery/possible grey. :D

Grey is a funny gene because some grey out really fast, and others grey out really slowly. However they both look old enough to be showing some greying out if they are greys.

tikino

Visit site
Another mystery/possible grey. :D

Grey is a funny gene because some grey out really fast, and others grey out really slowly. However they both look old enough to be showing some greying out if they are greys.

that's what i thought although this white on the wee mans leg is rather strange and has only just appeared thanks for all your help

Truly

www.shannonleighstables.com
Hi :)
I don't think he is greying out...I think the fact dad was grey has lead you to that way of thinking...I think he has sabino flecking/roaning on his leg.

Sometimes it goes just to one area...it can be hidden in generations and then pop up...so could have come from mum or dad even if they didn't have any white on them (you wouldn't necessarily see on dad if he had greyed out)

I had a bay gelding who had a grey area on his hind cannon...his dad was a grey and for years I thought it was part of dad :) but I now know it was the sabino gene showing.

I also have a palomino (Aurumba in my sig) that was born with only a small white sock and no other white on him anywhere. When he was a late weanling he developed a star on his forehead...it is not pure white as you can see palomino hairs running through it if you look carefully...but it is clearly a white star but is sabino roaning just in that one area.....when he is wet the skin is dark underneath, unlike a true white star where there is no pigment and the skin is white underneath.....very strange but fascinating :)

tikino

Visit site
cloppy has he got any white flecks through his coat. my 2yr only has silvery highlights through his tail white have saddle nostly gone now but he is bright bay his dad was also grey.
DSCF0509.jpg

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Cloppy - what colour was his dam before she greyed out? What colour was his sire?

Greys do often get grey hairs in their tails early on in the greying out process. Or it could be Gulastra Plume which is really an oddity of sabino but is named after the arabian stallion Gulastra who was chestnut but with a striking grey tail (but never greyed out as no grey gene).

Tikinos bay looks like he has not only a Gulastra plume but some in his mane too. :)

Here's a couple of further examples.

greytailedcolt.jpg

Seamus.jpg

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Thank you. I'm just an interested amateur really, all started because I owned the anglo arab with the 'grey tail' pictured above (the freezemarked one with one white sock) and wondered why he didn't have a black tail like bays should. :)

cloppy

Visit site
Thank you Tikino
Faracat, His sire was a dark bay hanoverian and his mother a grey connemara although I don't knoiw what colour she was before she greyed out. Those with the grey tails are really unusual, I've never seen them before.

Last edited:

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
His sire was a dark bay hanoverian and his mother a grey connemara although I don't knoiw what colour she was before she greyed out.

Very interesting.

Can you see that your boy has quite pale fur inside his ears? It really shows in the photo of him by himself. Now this could indicate that he's actually a smoky black. Of course having a cream gene doesn't stop a horse from having other colour modifier genes too (eg grey, sabino etc...) but the fact that his dam is a conny does mean that it's possible that she passed a copy of cream to him.

Conny's have the Cream gene but not Dun. All 'dun' conemaras are actually buckskins.

cloppy

Visit site
really? I just thought the ears were left over from his foal coat (he's 14 months in the picture). I did have a suggestion that he may be a chocolate dun as he has a faint dorsal stripe. That was assuming his dam was dun before she went grey.
Its all very interesting.