Gridwork ideas

mrsh2010

Visit site
I'm off to a friend's arena this weekend for a play with some poles.

It's been years since I set up any grids so please can people give me some ideas. Not jumping big. Just want a plan of action

blood_magik

Visit site
I generally have two grids that I work with:

- 3 trot poles, bounce, one stride, one stride.
- trot pole/canter pole, one stride, two/three/four stride (oxer).

The first one is for gymnastic work and getting my rushers to wait on the approach. The second is for when I want to bump up the height of my fences. 🙂

SEL

Visit site
Last time I had a jumping lesson (about a trillion years ago) the instructor set up 4 small fences in a square. I think it was a stride between them but you could go straight over 2 and then round over the other 2 or cut through the gap on the diagonal and jump just 1 fence.

Not sure if that makes sense but it was a wizzy horse and really had me sitting up and holding him for the turns. Lots to concentrate on and a really good exercise for a horse that could tank into fences and a rider that's a bit of a jumping wimp.

I borrowed the exercise at raised trotting pole height for some kiddies on their ponies and they thought it was great.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
Last time I had a jumping lesson (about a trillion years ago) the instructor set up 4 small fences in a square. I think it was a stride between them but you could go straight over 2 and then round over the other 2 or cut through the gap on the diagonal and jump just 1 fence.

Not sure if that makes sense but it was a wizzy horse and really had me sitting up and holding him for the turns. Lots to concentrate on and a really good exercise for a horse that could tank into fences and a rider that's a bit of a jumping wimp.

I borrowed the exercise at raised trotting pole height for some kiddies on their ponies and they thought it was great.

Ive done this exercise.
It been called The Box!
It good fun and gets you looking and steering and planning ahead!

Shay

Visit site
We use variants of the box - and "Grandmother's knitting". Not technically a grid but lots of fun. 4 poles / rasied poles or small fences set up in a + shape. (Gaps at the center to start with or the turns are very tight.) You can go over all 4 in a circle. Or go over 1, turn back circle around the end and go over the one behind you etc - looks like one of those knitting dolls that were big in the '70's. You can do two angled, do one, miss one. All sorts.

Another useful true grid is this. 3 fences a bounce stride then 3 more set up in a Y shape 1 or 2 strides away. So you do the straight bit then have the option to jump straight ahead, left angle or right angle on a dog leg. You can also reverse it and go into the grid from the top of the Y.

Have fun!