Grinding Teeth

_jetset_

Visit site
One of my horses has always done this since he was backed last year. He does it once he has relaxed and is settled in his work. I have never had a horse that grinds its teeth before so not really sure of what to do.

He does not grind his teeth when he is tense etc. it is more when he has finished the session. Although he can do it mid way through if being worked deep.

little_flea

Visit site
My sisters horse is a big teeth grinder, she is competing at Medium level now, placed at Nationals and Regionals all levels so defo a horse liked by judges - we've tried everything, gum bits, tooth paste, saddle soap (but the latter seems too mean), lots of different bits - no difference. She doesn't do it more or less when tense/happy - it sort of crosses over into bit chomping. No good suggestions - but as far as I know, no judge has ever actually commented on it...

Fanatical

Visit site
My sisters horse is a big teeth grinder, she is competing at Medium level now, placed at Nationals and Regionals all levels so defo a horse liked by judges - we've tried everything, gum bits, tooth paste, saddle soap (but the latter seems too mean), lots of different bits - no difference. She doesn't do it more or less when tense/happy - it sort of crosses over into bit chomping. No good suggestions - but as far as I know, no judge has ever actually commented on it...

My boy also grinds his teeth and HAS been marked down quite regularly because of it. You can obviously hear it more clearly indoors and when eventing I always hope the judges don't have their window wound down.
However he has been very successful over the years - won and placed at the BD Regionals and won BE regionals too. I think some judges turn a blind eye if the horse looks happy otherwise. It is just a habit with my boy.
I've tried bit butter and gum bits. Didn't fancy the saddle soap option so we just put up with it.