Grinning from ear to ear

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Springy and I had our first dressage lesson this morning. We had a lady who teaches two other very nice horses on the yard and she rides high school dressage (levade, piaffe, passage, etc) so I was a bit woried about what she would think of me and my Irish bog pony! Anyway, since today was our first lesson she wanted to assess my riding (eek
blush.gif
) and see how Spring moves. So on a loose rein we walked and trotted, I was asked not to hurry or encourage her on - just to let her find her own natural rythm. And my trainer (I can say that now Lol!!) loved Spring!
grin.gif
She said that her natural paces are very nice and that she is beautifully put together, she particularly liked her hindquarters and said that she had a nice shoulder with a long humerus which should mean that she will be capable of some very nice extension when more balanced
laugh.gif
We then had a canter and my trainer (I like saying that!) just said "wow" and raved about how good it was and that with some more balancing and training it will be super.
grin.gif
grin.gif

She then said that my position was basically good and that I needed to relax my hip and leg a bit more but I was quite a nice rider. I get so paranoid that I am rubbish, its nice to hear I am not that bad
crazy.gif

But then the icing on the cake was when she said that Spring shows a lot of potential and that she could quite easily work at advanced dressage and look good doing it
shocked.gif
grin.gif

So I am happy, my scruffy hairy beastie that I bought back in February is finally showing us what she is made of, and hopefully now as I improve she will go from strength to strength. I am not sure I am up to advanced or even medium dressage but its nice to know she is. Its also nice to see a dressage trainer that doesn't look down her nose at Spring just because she isn't a warmblood - she genuinely liked her
grin.gif

sunflower

Visit site
I'm so pleased for you and what a star Spring is - I'd better come and see her soon before she gets too posh for the likes of me
grin.gif

spaniel

Visit site
Wow Lucy what a lovely morning you have had....Springy IS a lovely mare theres no doubting that and it just goes to show that not all dressage bods are warmblood obsessed....I think she is going to be rather wonderful!!

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Thanks Spaniel, I am literally beaming sat here! A few people thought I was mad to buy her and it hasn't all been plain sailing, but sometimes I watch her on the lunge and can't believe she is my horse, I really felt she was special but I thought I was being a bit biased. Now she has had someone impartial cast an eye over her and sing her praises it feels fab!

My trainer said that she really likes irish draught types and that they have good attitudes and can jump and buck better than most! As well as having good paces. So it still pays to buy some irish by the looks of your new boy as well!
wink.gif

weevil

Visit site
That's fantastic, clever Spring
grin.gif

Obviously you will now have to stop calling her a hairy elephant, and invest in some diamante so you can be a true dressage queen
grin.gif
grin.gif
tongue.gif

vivhewe

Visit site
Well done! Sounds like you've had a fab morning and I don't blame you for grinning from ear to ear - I would be too!
grin.gif

It's great when you get told your horse has potential - even mine aparently has some potential - just not sure what at yet lol!
wink.gif

Keep us updated with how you get on
smile.gif
and we want pictures at the first opportunity too!

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Weevil step away from the diamante, it is not coming anywhere near my horse!
wink.gif

I could actually start a new trend of elephant dressage - we may even win!
grin.gif

_jetset_

Visit site
I know how you feel about being looked down on... it happened to Hannah and I at a competition where we came 2nd in the Elementary! This lady just could not believe that an IDxTB could come above her WB!!!

I have now made the ultimate sin of any IDxTB owner, not once but twice... I have put her in foal to a WB and have loaned a WBxTB
frown.gif
I still love my IDxTB and once she gets rid of her foalie (I am keeping it though) then we aim to affiliate and move up and up and up... show em what the Irish ones are made of!

Happy Bird

community.webshots.com
Good for you !! How fab !! You're on the way up and she looks like a gorgeous mare. I too have a IDxTB and I wouldn't swap her for the World !

The reason most of us own horses is to have fantastic moments like that - and the buzz which comes with it !!!

4whitesocks

Visit site
Woo - hooo

That's brilliant! (and I'm not just saying that because I'm Irish!!!)

Best I ever saw was a 15" 1 batty cob (bought as a foal from the travellers at the side of the road) coming beating the league leader (WB).....you should see this mare (and the face on the guy who had spent 15k on his horse!!!)

Hope the two of you go from strength to strength with your new trainer

S_N

Visit site
Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful news!!! I am SO chuffed for you hunny! Spring is a lucky Lady & JM certainly found her the right home!! Do you think she'll have babies........? Sorry - had to ask
grin.gif
wink.gif

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Lol! Thanks, she is still an opinionated madam but I do love her to bits.
grin.gif

She will have babies at some point but when she has achieved her glittering dressage career!
wink.gif

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Its funny, I just got this feeling about her as soon as I met her - despite being slightly overwhelmed at her size and hairiness! Thanks to my OH saying she had lovely eyes and I should buy her and aran spotting her potential and you for matchmaking, whilst she still has her moments I feel we are a real partnership now
smile.gif

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

LOL @ her moments, bless!!!!!
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats not always what I say
smirk.gif

TBH her "moments" are few and far between now, but she does like to remind me every now and then what I have been missing out on!

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I hope that you will buy my book - "Dressage training for the opinionated horse"
wink.gif
I'll even sign a copy for you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank you your dressage worshipfulness.....if you could get Spring to breathe lightly on the dust cover (only if she has time that is......!), then that would be super!
And perhaps a lock of her mane......no, no, that's too much......I presume too much, please accept my grovelling apologies.......!
*JAK exits room backwards, bowing*

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Thank you your dressage worshipfulness.....if you could get Spring to breathe lightly on the dust cover (only if she has time that is......!), then that would be super!
And perhaps a lock of her mane......no, no, that's too much......I presume too much, please accept my grovelling apologies.......!
*JAK exits room backwards, bowing*

[/ QUOTE ]

*Lucy looks haughtily down her nose at Jak*

Spring does not fraternise with the general public, she is a dressage superstar not a big brother contestant. Tut tut.

wink.gif
tongue.gif

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
I came out feeling so much more positive about my riding, whilst she did correct things she did it in a way that felt like a compliment!
crazy.gif
I am terrible at beating myself up about mistakes and just go to pieces if shouted at (I am officially a drip!), but this lady boosted my confidence. Plus its always nice to have good things said about your horse but I get the feeling that she gives praise where it is due not just because I am paying her!