Grooming + electric shocks

Hornby

Visit site
As it has been so dry (up North) for weeks, I am building up lots of static electricity when I am grooming (I do anyway if I walk round a shop with plastic carpets
shocked.gif
). If I touch my finger to my horses, accidently when grooming, I am giving them and me an electric shock! I hate it more than they do but I don't want them to go off me
blush.gif
What can I do to stop it please?
confused.gif
(Be nice!)

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
I get it just opening the flipping car door! I think we all have to revert to cotton underwear, leather footwear, hay wisps for strapping our horses etc etc - ie nothing artificial at all! Either that or buy a couple of those carbon thingies you attach to the outside of your car that are supposed to disperse static electricity and thus stop people being car sick, and sew them to either your horse or yourself! Or walk around with a light bulb in your mouth and rejoice in the contribution you are making to lowering your carbon footprint!!!!

Hornby

Visit site
Oh I am glad I am not alone! I like Box of Frogs' idea about the dangling thingy to "earth me out" but haven't seen those in years...and people already think I am odd!
tongue.gif

SpottedCat

Visit site
I'm getting these too - I find keeping my other hand on the horse whilst grooming seems to stop them. I only get them if I groom with one hand then touch them with the other hand - horse gets VERY cross about it! :g:

Hornby

Visit site
Now that makes sense, as I get them when I have the body brush in one hand and curry comb in other but if a finger catches the horse round the side of the brush we get a shock! I gave Buddy a kiss on the nose the other night and I could see the spark! Needless to say he hass not wanted to kiss noses since.
frown.gif
I will have to brush with one hand on ned and THEN clean the brush on the curry comb! I will try tonight, thanks!
grin.gif

Perissa

Visit site
You could also try using a natural bristle brush ( as in real hair) as I have the same problem when using Dandy brushes. Doesn't seem to happen when using my posh brushes though!

catembi

Visit site
The very worst thing is trying to get a snuggys hood off. I dread doing it, & try to make o/h do it. Thank goodness I won't have to bother with the wretched thing for a good few months. I tried washing it & adding fabric conditioner to de-static it, but it made no difference.

SarahK

Visit site
I zapped my horse a few weeks ago.

unfortunately for him it happen as i was unclipping his lead rope from his chifney - so i think i shocked him in the mouth. poor love! he was nervous of me for days and i dont blame him. i felt awful!