Grooming help Please. Clipping a GSD?

Three

Visit site
My older dog (he's eight) is seriously long-haired and is really really suffering in this weather.
frown.gif

Obviously he has never been clipped but I'm wondering if I just took his tummy out if it would make life more bearable for him?

Would it be a horrible mistake and never grow back or upset his waterproofing for the winter?

He looks huge in this pic but he's quite slim under all that fur.

100_1634-1.jpg

CAYLA

Visit site
If u think u can manage it, brush him out, then bath him, and dry hair dryer and comb him through at the same time , this will get all the loose hair out, inc the dead under coat, u will be suprised how much u will get out, in comparison to jsut a bath and natural dry or a brush alone.
Trim his skirts, and feathers and thin all of his trousers out, and as u suggest shave his stomach off, this will not be the easiest task, but if u sent him to the groomers they would do a professional job, but if u are not to bothered what he will look like, have a go yourself, obs on a cool day for both u and the dog, as it won't be an easy task, unless u do it over a few days, which is how I do my long coated akita.

You would be suprised how much this tidiest them up and takes alot of the hair away without touching his top coat.

Three

Visit site
Thanks Cala, that's really helpful
grin.gif

I'd happily get a professional to do it - in fact 'd rather tbh - but I haven't been able to find one in my area who deals with GSDs.

Nicki85

Visit site
We have been clipping our Golden Retrievers belly for the last few summers. She has a really thick coat and gets very hot but doesn't like water!

She seems alot better afterwards, we don not normally touch her top coat (just do what cala said really). But we do find clipping her belly helps keep her cool.

It depends really if you want to take him to any shows as i am nut sure what dog judges think of a trace clip!!

Cliqmo

Visit site
I used to clip my retriever (god rest him!) with my OHs Nicky Clarke Salon clippers! It worked fine and helped keep him cool and mud free
tongue.gif
smile.gif

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I'd never actually heard of anyone clipping a GSD until I came on here but if he is heavy coated and has an undercoat, then go for it if he is suffering.