grooming routines?

Visit site
do you have one? what is it?
smile.gif

claire1976

Visit site
I give my mare and pony a quick brush daily and do hoof picking then at the weekend give them both a good tidy up. I tend to groom more for their pleasure than to clean them as I know they only go and roll again after!! Grooming daily is great for keeping the bond between you and your horse and having chance to look for any wounds, swellings, heat etc. Its important to keep your horse regularly handled and that they maintain good manners when standing and being groomed. My mare really enjoys a good brush and her head is nearly on the ground as she nods off and her bottom lip hangs down she's that relaxed!!
I'm not a big fan of washing horses regularly, I only do it twice a year but then I don't show my horse. I just make sure her tail is shampooed often as she's a stinky thing!

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Yes! Very much so! Im lucky in that my horse is on full livery, so he's usually in and had a groom before I ride.

I always, always brush before I ride (even though the grooms have). I have a flea-bitten grey and despise him looking dirty. But most of my grooming is saved for afterwards, particularly in winter when I tend to want to ride while I still have light.

Post riding i flick all the school dirt and so on off him. He has stable stains removed daily with hot water, savlon and tea tree oil. If i leave them, they build up to the point of him needing a bath, so find its easier to just remove them daily.

Horsey is then groomed thoroughly with a flicker brush and then a body brush. Tail has mane and tail conditioner sprayed through and left for 5 minutes before I comb that through. Hooves are washed off and have hoof dressing applied. I tidy his mane (with scissors and a solo comb) on a daily basis because Im a tad obsessive about it. He's finished with a very very soft body brush over his coat and face. His nose and under his tail are wiped with a sponge (seperate sponges though of course!) and his mane is laid flat with mane and tail conditioner applied.

Once a week or so I have a good trimming session of his ears, bridle path and the end of his tail. I wash his tail rather frequently too since its easy enough to do even in winter and yellow tails annoy me
frown.gif

All this being said, remember I am on full livery so I dont have to much out etc... it leaves me plenty of time. Im also a bit obsessive so feel free to laugh
frown.gif
I clean my tack daily also
frown.gif

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
No, in the winter they are lucky if they don't have any mud on them somewhere or another. Always groom bridle area and saddle area and pick feet out but that's it.

Summer is a different matter.....................

Visit site
I normally start by brushing all over the body/neck and legs with a dandy brush and a platic curry comb if they are really muddy. Then i use a soft brush to brush the face. Then i comb through the mane and tail and add some mane and tail conditioner if it is a bit knotty. Then I finish my picking out the feet.
smile.gif
x

claire1976

Visit site
Crikey Tierra how on earth do you manage all that every day!! I'd lose the will to live if I had to cram all that in!! Hats off to you girl though I bet your horse is the most pampered one on the yard!!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Brush mud-caked bits with my metal loop thing, its meant for moulting horses but its great for removing mud! Use plastic curry comb on body, then flick brush to flick off the dust (excellent brush!) and make them shiny. Body Brush the legs. Pick out feet. Brush face and clean eyes / nose with baby wipes. Spray coat shine on mane, hindquarters and tail and brush through quickly. Dont comb tail daily though if horse Im doing has a thin-ish tail!

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
I know its completly over the top but I just cant not do it
tongue.gif

Ive always been like it, when I had my first horse as a teenager my mum used to check him all over before I was allowed to ride. If he was dirty, then I wouldnt be able to ride. Ever since then Ive had real issues over my grooming.

This is my first grey though and it's definitly gotten worse since OH bought him for me. But as I said please remember that a) I am fortunate in that I have the time to do it and b) I do have slightly obsessive compulsive issues :p

serena2005

Visit site
yes i have a grooming routine, i'm paranoid they arent as shiney if i dont groom in order... it goes

rubber currycomb
plastic currycomb (if muddy)
dandy brush
body brush and scraper
spray tail with conditioner and brush mane and tail
soft body brush
pick out feet... and WAHLA! Beautiful

PoppyPony

Visit site
feet,
rubber curry comb,
dandy brush,
body brush (although not all the time because he's out 24/7 naked atm!),
spray/plastic curry comb tail (way too thick and long to brush with body brush),
face with soft goat hair brush,
eye/nose/bum wipes (the taps too far away to sponge these every day)

he doesn't get this evry day, probably around 3-4 times a week. every day that i ride he gets his feet picked out before and after i ride, and i brush mud off.

Agent XXX999

Visit site
For my ned, who goes out for a coupleof hours every day...

Feet
Rubber curry comb all over
flicky brush
spray tail with conditioner.

After riding

Sponge eyes, sweaty bits, legs and bum

Then at the weekends he gets a proper tart up....

I cant believe the people that dont groom their horses, the girls at my yard see it as a complete chore. To me it is one of the most important things. Even if you only spend 5 mins doing it it is essential and a good way to bond with your ned...and they love it. Mine even grooms me whilst I do bits of him (though I dont enjoy it so much...) I work f/t in london and I still have time (I'm going to polish my halo now...!)

beh

Visit site
1) rubber curry comb
2) Dandy brush
3) mane and tail brush
4) eye, bum and bum wash (not in that order)
5)hoof pick
6) finishing/goat hair brush
7) standback and admier clean horsey

princesskelly

Visit site
plastic curry comb if muddy
body brush
mane and tail
face
baby wipe nose and round mouth
pick feet out and scrub outside if muddy
hoof moisture
final brush with my flick brush.
i do this everyday always after i have ridden. otherwise i would be riding in the dark!
crazy.gif

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
Brush off the worst of the dried mud with a metal comb thingy (it has three circles of 'teeth'...brill for muddy horses!), then dandy brush. Pick out feet. Never body brush in winter as he's not rugged and is out 24/7. Only do mane and tail once a week as his hairs break easily. Always cut a bridle path on his mane and keep his tail trimmed to stop it getting too caked.