grooms wages

bellgave

Visit site
Not sure where to post this, but.........
I am thinking of employig a groom. How much should I expect to pay someone per week to work a 5 day week, 9 hours a day, to muck out, lunge etc 5 horses? Have no idea. Any suggestions? Oh woud suppy accomatation too (not sure if this makes a diff' to rate of pay!)

TequilaMist

Visit site
Would have to be at least minimum wage(think its £5.30 ph for 21 and over but someone correct if wrong)accomodation could be taken off that, also livery if they have horse as that would be classed as earnings if you want to do things 'correct' way.Have known yard that gave accomodation plus wage but don't think accomodation was declared for tax purposes etc

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Minimum wage at the present time is:
18-21 year olds £4.25p per hr (£191.25 gross p.w)
over 21 years £5.05p per hr. (£227.25 gross p.w)
You may have to pay more depending on the experience, qualifications, ability of the employee.
Accomodation does not affect the miniumum wage, it is totally separate. You can make it part of the package ie deduct a certain amount for accomodation though.

Horseymum

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Minimum wage at the present time is:
18-21 year olds £4.25p per hr (£191.25 gross p.w)
over 21 years £5.05p per hr. (£227.25 gross p.w)
You may have to pay more depending on the experience, qualifications, ability of the employee.
Accomodation does not affect the miniumum wage, it is totally separate. You can make it part of the package ie deduct a certain amount for accomodation though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Figures have now changed from the above to:-

Under 18s not of compulsory school age - £3.30
18-21 - £4.45 ph
22 and over £5.35 ph

or see:-

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nmw/nmw_abou.htm

seza

Visit site
I know several grooms in the midlands who earn between 150 - 250 a week including accommodation. This is the amount they pick up after tax and NI have been deducted. Like all things you get what you pay for.

Patchwork

Visit site
Would you need to employ someone for 9 hours per day with 5 horses? Would they be riding/schooling too?

smile.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
The groom on my yard is paid the minimum wage. However, a friend works in a racing stable and gets £7.00 per hour.

I assume for the hours you want them to work that you are looking for them to exercise as well - not just lunge. Anyone competent enough to do all would be worth paying more for imo, as these people are worth their weight in gold.

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
I get paid 10% above minimum wage but that involves hardly any yard work, mostly riding and teaching.

I would think if you wanted someone to do secreterial stuff as well you would have to pay a little more. I think most PA jobs are about 12,000 pro rata ish? But you'd have to work out yard work v. secretarial work in terms of hours per week and get the salary that way.

bellgave

Visit site
Thanks everyone gives us something to think about, its a fairly easy job, mainly need someone here to look after the horses left at home whilst my sisters goes off to compete, otherwise the poor things are left in all day!!
I was only joking about the secretarial stuff as my grammar was so rubbish in my initial post!!!
Thanks for all the responses!!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
mainly need someone here to look after the horses left at home whilst my sisters goes off to compete, otherwise the poor things are left in all day!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are overestimating the number of hours needed then. Groom at my yard works 8.00am to 1.00. The job includes mucking out and turning out around five to eight horses (depending on how many are in), and exercising between one and two - at least one of these being hacked out for an hour and a half.

Horses are then brought in pm by me and YO.

samerlin

Visit site
if any accommodation is provided it should be declared to Inland Revenue on a P11D and may be taxable with Class 1A NIC paid by the employee. Depends on the contract of employment. You would also have to apply to IR for a PAYE scheme as you would then become an employer. The employee would have Tax and NIC deducted from the weekly wage (unless under the threshold currently approx £90 i think) the employer also has to pay 12.8% of the wage to IR as employer NIC. If unsure contact your local IR office for some information