Ground Conditions at Hickstead

galaxy

Visit site
Anyone know what it is like?

Going to Friday, not sure whether to take the more expensive option of my 4x4 or steal my OH normal car?

Whats the footing like around the stands? Welly only zone?

0ldmare

Visit site
Well it was very good when I left this evening (am on a trade stand), with very little mud around the stands.

BUT it started raining late afternoon and was pouring when I left :( sooo probably best to get an update tomorrow as it could be like a ploughed field by Friday!

galaxy

Visit site
Thanks Oldmare :)

Which car to bring is my main concern! lol!

Which tradestand are you on (pm if you prefer, although is it really advertising?) I'll pop in and say hi! :)

Spottyappy

Visit site
I went to the derby meeting at the end of June,when the weather was equally as awful.
Hickstead must have spent loads on an amazing drainage system. It was squealchy round the stands when we arrived,but by the end of the day,which actually remained mostly dry, the mud had gone and it was dry. I only saw one mud patch in the car park at the end of the day. I was quite amazed by how effectve it was. I took my 4x4 as I thought conditions would be trecerous,but my normal small car would have been fine.
Enjoy!

galaxy

Visit site
Their drainage is good there...

I remember a few years ago (we go every year!) the car park was under water the 1st day, we went 2 days later in the 4x4 and didn't need it at all. Was dry enough for normal car!

hmmmm.... what to do!

0ldmare

Visit site
Galaxy do pop in :) I'm on a stand called Morpheus Designs (just near the hickstead shop).

I could give you an update re the car park conditions tomorrow if you like (but you might need to remind me as I've got a memory like a sieve :D ). As I said it was pishing down when I left today so it really is anyones guess (I took the land rover instead of the van today as I thought it would be bad, but the van would have coped fine)

galaxy

Visit site
Will definitly pop in (will be with my dog in siggie!)

Will try and resurrect this thread as a reminder tomorrow night! Although teaching at PC in the evening, so may this this sort of time :)

galaxy

Visit site
Hoping for a positive update? My 4x4 is now in the garage and the normal car is the only option! lol1

GREYSMEADOW

Visit site
I went today and it was really ok considering all the rain we have had at the start of the week. Plently of normal cars in the car park too. They are switching arenas to preserve the ground (classes in the polo arena). The lap of honour was at walk in the showing ring. The lorry park is a different story though. Back again tomorrow. We should have a H&HF meeting point at Hickstead to stay 'hello'!

Oh and did one circuit in wellies (to be safe) and then went around again in my Ariat paddock boots.

Last edited:

galaxy

Visit site
I went today and it was really ok considering all the rain we have had at the start of the week. Plently of normal cars in the car park too. They are switching arenas to preserve the ground (classes in the polo arena). The lap of honour was at walk in the showing ring. The lorry park is a different story though. Back again tomorrow. We should have a H&HF meeting point at Hickstead to stay 'hello'!

Oh and did one circuit in wellies (to be safe) and then went around again in my Ariat paddock boots.

I have long curly red hair and a GSP (dog in my siggie) if you see me stop and say hi!! ;)

0ldmare

Visit site
Yep, car park was good, you'd be fine in a normal car I think.

Also the ground conditions around the stands etc were getting better and better as the day progressed :)

digitalangel

Visit site
Hiiiii! Ill be there sunday - good to hear the lorry park is drying up! im the idiot with the Silver lorry with the burning british flags on the side and the silly grey pony ;)

Can anyone tell me if you can go the night before and stay in the lorry? how can one get a stable?

galaxy

Visit site
ground was great! No 4x4s or wellies needed!

Had a great day!!!! :) Oldmare i must have been blind, I just could not find your stall :( :(

jodie3

Visit site
I found her stall and ordered a sheepskin for my baby Grand-daughter!!

Galaxy, did you have your hair in a pony tail? There seemed to be quite a few people with dogs like yours (GSP?) but I did see one several times and wondered if it was you.

jodie3

Visit site
Wished I had been brave enough to say hi now!!

We had a lovely day and had just got back into the car when it started to pour down so were rather pleased with our timing.

jodie3

Visit site
no, any footwear will be fine. Not muddy at all[/QUOTE]

Definitely agree with this.

My grandson and I wore joddy boots just in case but would have been fine in trainers/shoes. My daughter dug out her old pink Hunters and complained that her legs were too hot! We also had baby grandaughter in a buggy and that pushed very easily without getting bogged down at all.

It was very strange leaving the car park and watching the special track they had put down undulating as the car in front drove over it. Must have been pretty wet and muddy underneath it.

0ldmare

Visit site
Jodie it was lovely to meet you :)

Galaxy, oh well maybe next year. We were/are almost opposite the Hickstead shop next to the Artic Wooden hut thing....if any of that makes sense ;)

galaxy

Visit site
Jodie it was lovely to meet you :)

Galaxy, oh well maybe next year. We were/are almost opposite the Hickstead shop next to the Artic Wooden hut thing....if any of that makes sense ;)

Yes i know where you mean, and I stood outside the hickstead shop for about 10 minutes while the girl I was with bought a hoodie! I did look around too as I thought that;s where you said you were. I am just blind :(

0ldmare

Visit site
Probably not helpful that our name thing is inside the tent as we orgot the fixings to put it on the outside lol