Ground manners

pennyturner

Visit site
Bold, friendly, cheeky boy is no trouble, except when he'd feeling frisky, when he won't stand still to be tacked up and mounted. Lots of pawing, turning, head tossing, and not infrequently a half-rear or two, including when being mounted, if he so feels like it.

He's not being nasty. It's either because he can see something and wants to be free to get to it (frequently his 'pet' shetland playing with another horse in the field, for example), or he's keen to get going. However, as you might imagine, it's tiresome.

What are your top tips for getting his attention and co-operation?

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I do know of an exercise that I know works, but very few people believe me util they do it. my last horse was amazing in every way-except at junctions, when he turned into a prancing arse who did not want to wait. he was 100% in all traffic. this turned him around with one session, completely solid after two sessions and I do it with everything now on and off-completely sorted out a mounting problem a mate had with a horse too. its very non-confrontational and takes a little patience initially if they are especially reactive.

take him somewhere-ie middle of the yard, in a head collar (or bridle if needed). make him stand-you stand at his shoulder, don't look at him but every time he turns his head/moves-put him back in the position you had him in quietly and without fuss. keep doing it until he relaxes completely and stays still.

do it in different places, tack on off/taking out to field wherever-ime it never takes that long for them to get it, the first time is the hardest and it can be reinforced whenever you want.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I guess if he's really easily distracted, try and do it without too many distractions at the same time the first time :) I'm not sure if the principle is similar to dog training-whereby you are rewarding them with what they want to do of it you're just teaching them some patience lol.