ground work for horse not being ridden due to my operation...

princestar

Visit site
Basically I have had an operation on my hand, therefore I am not allowed to ride :/

I lunge him, but he gets bored easily.. what else can I do with him?

We were finally getting somewhere with our riding, and my friend is riding once every now and again, but he's just started to work hard and enjoy his ridden work, now were going backwards due to my hand op.

I plan to try long reining and we have lovely fields I am going to do some inhand walks out with him, some adventures on the ground, going to different places as he can be nappy when riding so we're going to try new routes so when I am riding again we are going where we've already been.

What else can I do?

We're showing in hand next month but not sure what else there is to do? I need to keep both him and me from becoming insane haha.

What about - 'bomb proofing' tarp on ground, balloons, umbrellas, etc... pole work on the ground etc, any thing else anyone done please :)

Orangehorse

Visit site
You could do horse agility things, so long as your hand would be OK. This would also be good for bomb proofing!

As for long reining, you can do as much with that as riding. Hold the reins as if you are riding and have the whip instead of your legs and you can get the horse working as if you are riding it. It does need some practice, and best if you have an experienced person to assist to start with. I was startled the first time I tried it with mine, but I had all the correct tack on (much better than mine) and a very experienced trainer by my side. You can see exactly how the horse is working, rhythm, collection, extension, everything.

The Horse Agility is getting more and more popular and there are competitions and training days around. Good fun. Interesting to see what the horses are OK with or find more challenging.

TarrSteps

Visit site
You can also double your fun by doing all exercises from both sides of the horse, starting with basic leading.

Out 'hacking', take him out on a longer rope - a cut down longe works well but they make special groundwork ones - and 'circle' him through ditches, puddles, over small obstacles.

princestar

Visit site
Thanks very much for the suggestions - horse agility looks great fun so there's a few of us on the yard who are going to set it upnin the school and take turns :)

I also have a 12ft rope im going to take him out 'hacking' on, so he can walk away and do some obstacles too :) he leads etc from both sides so we have all covered that :)

Much appreciated - Thank You

Sol

Visit site
Why not school in-hand? I'm going to mostly school my gelding in-hand over the winter (along with 'led' hacks & long-reining & riding when I can), as I can school him through the lateral work etc still which really helps him. Great fun too, I really enjoy it :)