Ground work - pony not concentrating!

Highflinger

Visit site
Hello all
As I guess a lot of people are I am doing ground work with my rascal. I have a long rope and natural horsemanship halter and stick so have the "gear" and have had some groundwork lessons in the past so have some knowledge but what I don't have is pony's attention!. He stands quietly on the rope but is always looking around behind and to the side rather than two eyes on me. I wiggle the rope to get his attention but within moments he is gazing around again. He will back up and come forward with little rope pressure - just a wiggle of my figure and moves to the side although never very quickly but I never feel he is really concentrating on me or looking to me for the next instruction - more his mind is elsewhere and he is absentmindedly doing as i ask somewhat reluctantly. If I go in a grass paddock he tries to eat!
Anyone got any suggestion how to get him to give me to two eyes and stay giving me two eyes and concentrating?
many thanks

Orangehorse

Visit site
This will probably come with more practice. I expect he is wondering what on earth you are doing. Get him to do something rather than just standing still.

canteron

Visit site
Lots of praise if they do even the slightest hint toward what you are asking from them. They have to get to enjoy solving the puzzle of what you want!

but remember it is progressive, so you need to expect a little bit more every time.

Berpisc

Visit site
Find some info from reliable handlers online or books. Get him moving and doing simple tasks while you learn depending on what you have to work with; do you have any poles for example; you could get him walking over/reversing/turning etc. As Dave's Mam says, engage his brain, also (I say this from experience) make sure you are focused and paying attention. I don't mean thaat in a nasty way, its just that horses can tell really well if the handler is preoccupied. I used to lunge a livery's pony years ago who would stop if I looked at my watch....