ground work

Shavings

Visit site
so chance can got a bit bullish to lead

does get speed but clearly knows he is bigger then you and will use it against you all in the add of more food!

so can any one recommend a book or some one i can speak to online about some good ground work exercises

(no unfortunately i cant get someone out i live on a small island which is a 4 hour ferry ride to the UK)

really want to nip this in the a$$ before it grows in to something far worse!!

for me he is just flicking his head about, almost doing a hair flip i guess but he is brought in by staff and can use his shoulder against the smaller ones!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
In the interim, if he gets pushy when being led growl at him and make him back up. No more forward movement permitted til he settles and you give him permission to move on. Rinse and repeat as many times necessary per session if he starts to take over again.

Get on top of little disobediences before they become big ones.

Good luck.

daydreamer

Visit site
I would recommend YourHorsemanship (Jason Webb). Lots of great videos and a very logical system. There are various bundles/subscription levels and I think it is very good value for money.

SibeliusMB

Visit site
Second for Warrick Schiller, he is my go-to. He has a subsciption service as well as the free videos. I'm also a big fan of Buck Brannaman as well, he has a DVD set if you're interested in utilizing ground work long term and need a more thorough understanding.

In the meantime I've found a good rope halter can help prevent them from getting too strong and carrying a dressage whip to helps to maintain personal space until some real groundwork is done. Might be worth observing the yard staff to see how exactly they're handling him and if they are somehow contributing.

Reactions: TPO

black and brown

Visit site
A consistent approach from all handlers is really important. It's no good you insisting on one thing if the yard staff then let him get away with behaviour you don't want (this just creates a frustrated horse)

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
A third for Warwick Schiller here, although I don't solely follow his ways I just pick and choose from various different methods.

Reactions: TPO

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
In the meantime I've found a good rope halter can help prevent them from getting too strong and carrying a dressage whip to helps to maintain personal space until some real groundwork is done. Might be worth observing the yard staff to see how exactly they're handling him and if they are somehow contributing.